Document type: Draft Roadmap
Title: Draft Roadmap for Production and Use of Hydrogen in Ukraine
Released: March 2021
- The draft Roadmap for production and Use of Hydrogen in Ukraine was published in March 2021; its preparation was associated with the Workshop: Attaining Carbon Neutrality: The Role of Hydrogen, held under the auspices of the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (ENECE).
- The Roadmap will act as a foundation stone in the preparation of a National Hydrogen Strategy, expected to be released in 2021.
- The Roadmap presents three implementation phases, with UNECE noting special consideration given to the use of hydrogen in road transport, which is considered an integral part of the overall Roadmap:
- First phase (2021-23) – Assessment of the structure of the economy and sources of emissions to help highlight priority areas of focus;
- Second phase (2024-26) – Policies prioritisation, hydrogen market and supply chain development and demonstration & scale-up;
- Third phase (2027-29) – Establish a portfolio of policies and strategic hydrogen projects development, regulatory reform, technology development.
- The Roadmap identifies four Pillars for the introduction of hydrogen technologies in Ukraine:
- Pillar 1. Transformation of electrical power supply and heating systems;
- Pillar 2. Transformation of industrial process heat;
- Pillar 3. Transformation of the transport sector;
- Pillar 4. National gas pipelines system and scaling-up of hydrogen manufacturing, storage and transportation.
- In July 2021, the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) and the Gas Transmission System Operator of Ukraine (GTSOU) signed an agreement to formalise cooperation on low-carbon hydrogen and to develop hydrogen supply chains.
Uploaded: July 2021