PMCP news and publications
- Babcock R, Donovan A, Collin S and Ochieng‐Erftemeijer C (2017). Pilbara Marine Conservation Partnership – Final Report – Volume 1 (Part 1: Overview & Part II: Environmental Pressures). CSIRO Oceans & Atmosphere, Published Brisbane.
- Babcock R, Donovan A, Collin S and Ochieng‐Erftemeijer C (2017). Pilbara Marine Conservation Partnership – Final Report – Volume 2 (Part III: Coral Reef Health). CSIRO Oceans & Atmosphere, Published Brisbane.
- Babcock R, Donovan A, Collin S and Ochieng‐Erftemeijer C (2017). Pilbara Marine Conservation Partnership – Final Report – Volume 3 (Part IV: Fish & Sharks). CSIRO Oceans & Atmosphere, Published Brisbane.
- Pitcher CR, Miller M, Morello E, Fry G, Strzelecki J, McLeod I, Slawinski D, Ellis N, Thomson D, Bearham D, Keesing J, Donovan A, Mortimer N, Babcock R, Fromont J, Gomez O, Hosie A, Hara A, Moore G, Morrison S, Kirkendale L, Whisson C, Richards Z, Bryce M, Marsh L, Naughton K, O’Loughlin M, O’Hara T, Boddington D, Huisman J (2016) Pilbara Marine Conservation Partnership – Environmental Pressures: Regional Biodiversity — Environmental pressures: regional biodiversity – Pilbara Seabed Biodiversity Mapping & Characterisation. Final report, CSIRO Oceans & Atmosphere, Published Brisbane, March 2016, 62 pages
- Coral reef health: coral reef dynamics
- Fish and sharks: habitat dependencies
- Environmental pressures: mapping seabed biodiversity and connectivity
- good and bad news – a health check-up
- going undercover as a marine biologist
- A thorny issue threatening the coral reefs of the Pilbara
- Monitoring at Mandu – 10 years on
- Spawning in the wind – full moon triggers currents of coral sperm and eggs
- News Updates from the UWA Marine Ecology Group – Fish Research
- Mapping our Pilbara seabed biodiversity
- 2016 International Coral Reef Symposium – Mick Haywood – High densities of COTS threatens post-bleaching recovery of coral reefs in North-Western Australia
- 25th October 2016 – PMCP Symposium Presentations
- 23 May 2017 – Parks and Wildlife Presentation – Coral Reef Health – Russ Babcock and Malcolm McCulloch – presentation & audio only
- 9 June 2017 – Parks and Wildlife Presentation – Fish and Sharks – Di Mclean and Tim Langlois – presentation & audio only
- 29th June 2017 – Parks and Wildlife Presentation – Environmental drivers – Ryan Lowe and Fabio Boschetti – presentation
- Bessey C, Babcock RC, Thomson, DP, Haywood MDE (2018). Outbreak densities of the coral predator Drupella in relation to in situ Acropora growth rates on Ningaloo Reef, Western Australia. Coral Reefs https://doi.org/10.1007/s00338-018-01748-7
- Doropoulos C, Gómez-Lemos LA, Babcock RC (2018). Exploring variable patterns of density-dependent larval settlement among corals with distinct and shared functional traits. Coral Reefs 37: 25-29 doi.org/10.1007/s00338-017-1629-y
- Mitchell JD, McLean DL, Collin SP, Taylor S, Jackson G, Fisher R, Langlois TJ (2018). Quantifying shark depredation in a recreational fishery in the Ningaloo Marine Park and Exmouth Gulf, Western Australia. Marine Ecology Progress Series 587:141-157.
- Moustaka M, Langlois T, McLean D, Bond T, Fisher R, Fearns R, Dorji P, Evans R (2018). The effects of suspended sediment on coral reef fish assemblages and feeding guilds of north-west Australia. Coral Reefs 2018. doi.org/10.1007/s00338-018-1690-1
- Xu J, Lowe RJ, Ivey GN, Jones NL, Zhang Z (2018). Contrasting heat budget dynamics during two La Niña marine heat wave events along northwestern Australia. Journal of Geophysical Research – Oceans 123:1563-1581. http://doi.org/10.1002/2017JC013426
- Zinke J, GilmourJP, Fisher R, Puotinen M, Maina J, Darling E, Stat M, Richards ZT, McClanahan TR, Beger M, Moore C, Graham NAJ, Feng M, Hobbs JPA, Evans SN, Field S, Shedrawi G, Babcock RC, Wilson SK (2018). Gradients of disturbance and environmental conditions shape coral community structure for south‐eastern Indian Ocean reefs – Diversity and Distributions. 2018;1–16.
- Babcock RC, Pillans RD, Rochester WA (2017). Environmental and individual effects on the behaviour and spawning movements of Lethrinus nebulosus on a coral reef. Marine and Freshwater Research, 68:1422-1437.
- Clarke H, D’Olivo JP, Falter J, Zinke J, Lowe R, McCulloch M (2017). Differential response of corals to regional mass‐warming events as evident from skeletal Sr/Ca and Mg/Ca ratios. Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems 18:1794-1809. doi.org/10.1002/2016GC006788
- Doropoulos C, Evensen NR, Gómez-Lemos LA, Babcock RC (2017). Density-dependent coral recruitment displays divergent responses during distinct early life-history stages. Royal Society Open Science 4: 170082. doi.org/10.1098/rsos.170082
- Doropoulos C (2017). Single polyp Acropora recruit resists overgrowth by the pervasive macroalgae Lobophora. Coral Reefs 36:1211 https://rdcu.be/9zwX
- Hughes TP, Kerry JT, Álvarez-Noriega M, Álvarez-Romero JG, Anderson KD, Baird AH, Babcock RC, Beger M, Bellwood DR, Berkelmans R, Bridge TC. et al. (2017). Global warming and recurrent mass bleaching of corals. Nature 16:543(7645):373-7.
- Lozano-Montes HM, Keesing JK, Grol MG, Haywood MDE, Vanderklift MA, Babcock RC, Bancroft K (2017). Limited effects of an extreme flood event on corals at Ningaloo Reef. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science 191: 234-238. doi.org/10.1016/j.ecss.2017.04.007
- Oh ZL, Thums M, Babcock RC, Meeuwig JM, Pillans RD, Speed C, Meekan MG. (2017). Contrasting patterns of residency and space use of coastal sharks within a communal shark nursery. Mar Freshwater Res 68:1501-1517.
- Pillans RD, Babcock RC, Thomson DP, Haywood MDE, Downie RA, Vanderklift MA, Rochester WA (2017). Habitat effects on home range and schooling behaviour in an herbivorous fish (Kyphosus bigibbus) revealed by acoustic tracking. Mar Freshwater Res 68:1454-1467.
- Taylor MD, Babcock RC, Simpfendorfer CA, Crook DA. (2017). Where technology meets ecology: acoustic telemetry in contemporary Australian aquatic research and management. Marine and Freshwater Research, 68: 1397-1402.
- Bennett K, Wilson S, Shedrawi G, McLean D, Langlois T (2016). Can diver operated stereo-video surveys for fish be used to collect meaningful data on benthic coral reef communities? Limnology and Oceanography: Methods 14(12):874-885.
- Collins DL, Langlois TJ, Bond T, Holmes TH, Harvey ES, Fisher R, McLean DL (2016). A novel stereo-video method to investigate fish-habitat relationships. Methods in Ecology and Evolution 8:116-125. doi.org/10.1111/2041-210X.12650
- McLean DL, Langlois TJ, Newman SJ, Holmes TH, Birt MJ, Bornt KR, Bond T, Collins DL, Evans SN, Travers MJ, Wakefield CB, Babcock RC, Fisher R (2016). Distribution, abundance, diversity and habitat associations of fishes across a bioregion experiencing rapid coastal development. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science 178:36-47. doi.org/10.1016/j.ecss.2016.05.026
- Feng M, Colberg F, Slawinski D, Berry O & Babcock R (2016). Ocean circulation drives heterogeneous recruitments and connectivity among coral populations on the North West Shelf of Australia. Journal of Marine Systems 164:1‑12. doi.org/10.1016/j.jmarsys.2016.08.001
- Speed CW, Meekan MG, Field IC, McMahon CR Harcourt RG, Stevens JD, Babcock RC. Pillans RD, Bradshaw CJA (2016). Reef shark movements relative to a coastal marine protected area Regional Studies. Marine Science 3: 58-66
- Xu J, Lowe RJ, Ivey GN, Jones NL, Zhang Z (2016). Ocean transport pathways to a World Heritage fringing coral reef: Ningaloo Reef, Western Australia. PLoS ONE 11(1):e0145822. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0145822.
- Zhang N, Feng M, Du Y, Lan J, Wijffels SE (2016). Seasonal and interannual variations of mixed layer salinity in the southeast tropical Indian Ocean. Journal of Geophysical Research – Oceans 121:4716–4731. doi.org/10.1002/2016JC011854
- Escalle L, Speed CW, Meekan MG, White WT, Babcock RC, Pillans RD, Huveneers C.(2015). Restricted movements and mangrove dependency of the nervous shark Carcharhinus cautus in nearshore coastal waters. Journal of Fish Biology 87 (2):323-341; 10.1111/jfb.12724 AUG 2015
- Zinke J, Hoell A, Lough JM, Feng M, Kuret AJ, Clarke H, Ricca V, Rankenburg K, McCulloch MT (2015). Coral record of southeast Indian Ocean marine heat waves with intensified Western Pacific temperature gradient. Nature Communications 6:8562 doi.org/10.1038/ncomms9562
- Pillans RD, Bearham D, Boomer A, Downie R, Patterson TA, Thomson DP, Babcock RC (2014). Multi-year observations reveal variability in residence of a tropical demersal fish, Lethrinus nebulosus: Implications for spatial management. PLOS ONE 9(9): e105507. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0105507