We provide a range of services to help improve the acoustic environment in buildings, optimise the acoustic behaviour of products and measure acoustic performance.
The laboratory currently provides a range of acoustic measurements including:
- Airborne sound insulation of walls, floors, doors and windows
- Impact sound insulation of floors and walls
- Impact sound reduction of floor coverings
- Sound absorption of materials and objects
- Acoustic impedance
The laboratory is also working on commissioning other types of tests associated with sound, vibration and acoustics including:
- Sound power level of sources
- Airflow resistance of acoustic materials
- Loss factor of vibration damping materials.
CSIRO has been involved in a number of high profile acoustic test and measurement projects, including:
- Barangaroo Development, Sydney
- New Royal Adelaide Hospital
- New Royal QLD Children’s Hospital
- Sydney Harbour Tunnel
– CSIRO tested a range of prototype silencers for insertion loss and aerodynamic noise.
- Aircraft noise in Sydney
- the Commonwealth Departments of Transport and Administrative Services commissioned CSIRO to conduct an acoustic evaluation to provide technical advice on the insulation of houses exposed to aircraft noise in Sydney.
- Acoustic rating of windows and doors