Remote gives maintenance workers in remote locations access to a virtual pair of expert eyes and hands to guide them through difficult tasks. GMR is a hands-free, wearable, technology that connects remote experts with on-site operators to provide real-time assistance when problems arise.
Designed to operate in various environmental conditions, Remote consists of a helper station and an operator station, with both the helper and the operator using a wearable computer that includes a helmet-mounted camera and a near-eye display. The display provides a shared visual space between the offsite helper and the onsite operator, allowing the helper to point at objects and show the operator how to perform actions. The operator can see the pointing and gestures from the helper’s virtual hands.
Using Remote can lead to the following benefits:
- Improved decision making by field operators
- Improved conformance to maintenance and operational procedures
- Improved situational awareness during fieldwork
- Improved training methods
- Reduced time in performing tasks
- Reduced communication errors between experts and operators
- Reduced rework of tasks completed incorrectly
- The Remote system can be seen in operation in an aerospace maintenance training facility below.