All simulations from 2017 onwards have the following naming structure:
GBRg – Model grid with g = approximate grid resolution in kilometres.
Hhhh – Hydrodynamic model, hhh = model version.
Bbbb – Biogeochemical model, bbb = model version.
Cccc – Catchment model, ccc = load specification.
- fur – Furnas relationships for wet and dry tropics rivers;
- pre – SOURCE Catchments – Pre-Industrial catchment cover;
- bas – SOURCE Catchments – Baseline (2012/13) catchment;
- hyd – best available forcing (2011 – Jun 30, 2014 P2R SOURCE Catchments; Jul 1, 2014 – Oct 30, 2016 – Empirical SOURCE Catchments; Oct 30, 2016 onwards Furnas relationship].
- q2b – SOURCE catchments (Dec 1, 2010 – Oct 30, 2018 – Empirical SOURCE Catchments; Oct 31, 2018 onwards Furnas relationship].
- q2p –SOURCE Catchments – Pre-Industrial catchment cover – Dec 1, 2010 – Oct 31, 2018.
Dddd – Model deployment.
- nrt – Near Real Time (-2 days, waiting for hydrodynamic forcing);
- fct – Forecast (+2 days);
- hnd – Hindcast (set dates);
- crt – catchment real time (-6 months, waiting for SOURCE Catchments);
- ran – Reanalysis (hindcast assimilating MODIS ocean colour, implemented 2017)
- ra2 – Reanalysis (hindcast assimilating MODIS, VIIRS ocean colour, implemented 2019).
H1p85 – Hydrodynamic run for SIEF report: contained salinity errors in 2015 – grid contains only 22 rivers.
H2p0 – No known forcing problems. 70 rivers included as boundaries, but only 22 have flows and loads. Fixed a rainfall forcing issue.
B1p0 – This is the original biogeochemical model. The simulations for the SIEF report in Jan 2016, and which have been referred to previously as v926, used this version.
B1p9 – More accurate optical calculations; Normanby – particulate and dissolved loads corrected; Sediment tracer “Dust” added; Oxygen mass conservation part of diagnostics.
B2p0 – Added deep seagrass species, seagrass mortality enhanced by bottom shear stress and nutrient uptake by seagrass leaves; spectral light forcing benthic microalgae; carbon chemistry calculations in sediment and using time-varying atmospheric pCO2; distinguish carbonate and non-carbonate fine sediments; in-line calculation of simulated satellite products; VIIRS satellite comparison; implement ecological processes on boundary cells; dynamic porosity in ecological process calculations; calculation of turbidity using optical model.
B2p1 – Added new coral bleaching processes.
B3p0 – Changes from B2p0:
- Optical properties of carbonate minerals (absoprtion, scattering and backscattering coefficients) introduced from Lucinda Jetty data set.
- Spectrally-resolved phytoplankton backscattering.
- Coral bleaching added using new process (coral_spectral_grow_bleach_epi.c) and new variables (Coral N, P, I reserves, xanthophyll photosynthetic and heat dissipating pigments, oxidised, reduced and inhibited reaction centres, reactive oxygen species), parameter values (ROS_threshold, ) and diagnostics (Rubisco activity, bleaching rate).
- Coral heterotrophic feeding fixed: reserves from grazed phytoplankton now returned to water column.
- New diagnostic variables included in optical model: simulated fluorescence, simulated turbidity, simulated normalised fluorescence line height, simulated Secchi depth, downwelling light on z-interfaces, SWR_bot_abs (the PAR weighted bottom absorption calculated by the model), OC4Me – chlorophyll algorithm for MERIS and Sentinel.
- Optical code now has options of spectral absorption coefficients calculated through HPLC analysis, or via Gaussian approximations (previous version).
- Separated coral growth and mortality (in coral_spectral_grow_*_epi.c) from dissolution / calcification processes (coral_spectral_carb_epi.c). Added argument to coral_spectral_carb_epi.c to apply Eyre relationship.
- New process light_spectral_sed.c considers spectrally-resolved microphytobenthos light absorption.
- Mass balance for oxygen includes nitrate, with stoichiometry changed for photosynthesis / respiration.
- Seagrass growth: Small fix in partitioning of nitrate / ammonium uptake in seagrass from roots – > put new version in seagrass_spectral_grow_epi.c
- Quadratic term for seagrass mortality added to seagrass_spectral_mortality_proto_epi.c, but zero value for all but deep seagrass.
- Remineralisation rate of phosphorus has a separate parameter to that of C and N, requiring 2 new parameters (r_RD_NtoP, r_DOM_NtoP)
- New output file (ecology_setup.txt) generated (containing process list implement including options, parameter values and what was previously in spectral.txt) for improved simulation quality assurance.
- Re-calculation of diagnostic optical properties in postcalc so they are calculated at the output time.
- Code now Open Source, available at: https://github.com/csiro-coasts/EMS, with headers improved for readability.
- EFI now defined based on minerals present – resulting definition output into eco_setup.txt.
- Code supports outputting solar zenith angle as either a 3D tracer (“Zenith”) or 2D epibenthic variable (“Zenith2D”).
- New Trichodesmium processes with code updated and bug in density call fix. New process called trichodesmium_spectral_grow_wc.c
- Introduced new sediment-water diagnostic variable.
- Rationalisation of grid description for 2D tracers in netcdf output files.
GBR4_H1p85_B1p0_Cbas_Dhnd – The simulation run for the 2016 SIEF report that was the first publicly-available long run of the full coupled hydrodynamic – biogeochemical model (formally known as gbr926).
GBR4_H2p0_B2p0_Chyd_Dhnd – Second publicly release simulation (released mid 2017) being used for GBRF resilience and NESP TWQ Hub projects.
GBR4_H2p0_B2p0_Cpre_Dhnd – Identical to GBR4_H2p0_B2p0_Chyd_Dhnd except with Pre-Industrial loads.
GBR4_H2p0_B1p9_Chyd_Dran – First application of BGC data assimilation that is being used for GBR report card 7.
GBR4_H2p0_B3p0_Cq2b_Dhnd – Third publicly released simulation (released Feb 7, 2019) available on NCI and RECOM.
GBR4_H2p0_B3p0_Cq2p_Dhnd – Identical to GBR4_H2p0_B3p0_Cq2b_Dhnd except with Pre-Industrial loads.
GBR4_H2p0_B3p0_Cq2b_Dra2 – 2nd application of BGC data assimilation that is being used for GBR report card 8.