Regulations in Australia

Planning and building controls across Australia

Depending on where you live in Australia, building and planning regulations might be called Urban and Regional planning controls, Land-use planning, or Town planning. Planning controls (whether they relate to bushfires or not) apply to many aspects of the development and use of land. For example, there are special requirements for clearing vegetation, siting new buildings, constructing roads and subdividing land, to name a few.

Learn what planning controls apply at your location before you start your build. Most states and territories (excluding the Northern Territory) provide online services that allow you to determine what you can and cannot do at your address. If you need more advice, we recommend contacting your local council.

Australian Capital Territory
New South Wales
South Australia
Western Australia