Neurite Outgrowth Analysis
We have developed automated solutions for the neurite outgrowth assays commonly used in target identication/validation and compound screening in drug discovery.
- Neurite detection and analysis for single channel images or for two channel images in conventional 2D images of monolayers of neurons found below
We have research collaborations in which we have custom developed solutions for more complex neurite outgrowth assays:
- Neurite detection and analysis in 2D images of co-cultures of neurons and support cells seen below
- 3D Neurite detection and analysis(found in the bottom) in 2-photon confocal 3D images of neurons
Our Standalone HCA Software
Our 2D monolayer neurite analysis code is available in our standalone HCA software, HCA-Vision.
Our 2D monolayer neurite analysis code has been integrated into the HCA cellular imaging systems of:
- Molecular Devices (formerly Axon Instruments) (http://www.axon.com) are a major biotechnology instrumentation company that CSIRO has worked with in the development of their ImageXpressTM cellular screening system.
- BD Biosciences (formerly Atto Bioscience) specializes in technologies for live cell-based assays and affiliated technologies including confocal high-throughput imaging. The company has licensed CSIRO’s neurite outgrowth analysis software to run in the AttoVision software for its Pathway HT cell screening system.
- PerkinElmer (http://www.perkinelmer.com) is a supplier of innovative tools and technologies for life sciences and pharmaceutical drug discovery. The company has licensed CSIRO’s neurite outgrowth analysis software to run in the Acapella software for its Opera ultra high-throughput cell screening system.
If you would like to licence this module for integration into your software platform please see the contact details below.
We develop custom solutions for non-standard assays. If you’d like a quote please see the contact details below.
|A Typical Neuron cell image captured using a single fluorescence channel||Standard solutions just measure neurite number and length||Our solution measures the more biologically relevant complexity of neurite branching|
To be closer to in vivo behaviour, neurons are grown in co-cultures with glial cells/astrocytes. In order to automatically analyse this behaviour the image analysis software must quantify the cell shape characteristics for both cell types (neuron and astrocyte) as well as the cell-cell relationships (cell clumping, cell co-localization, and neurite bundling).
Neurite Detection for 3D images
In collaboration with the Queensland Brain Institute, we are developing software for automated analysis of 3D images of neurons in tissue or support matrices.
|Volume rendering of a stained single cell, imaged using 2-photon confocal microscopy.(Images courtesy of Prof P Sah, Queensland Brain Institute)||
As in 2D, our 3D solution measures the complexity of the neurite tree.