Intelligent Fleet Logistics – Improving Asset Utilisation
Line-Haul Network Optimisation for Tip Top Bakeries
- George Weston Foods – Tip Top bakeries have an extreme logistics challenge delivering fresh bread daily
- 11 bakeries, 100 distribution centres, >1 million loaves to 20,000 stores
- Transportation spend >A$100M p.a.
- Data61 developed a new optimisation algorithm, modelling the distribution problem more accurately
- Data61’s constraint programming approaches achieve best solutions to 180 of 300 vehicle routing benchmarks
- Saved 10.4% of operational costs through a better asset and resources plan
- Developed a “Cost To Serve” tool that:
- Determines the optimal fleet configuration
- Distributes ‘more-than-truck-load’ volumes
- Optimises cross-docking
- Calculates street level routes
- Adheres to all business constraints.
- More efficient use of assets is key to reducing cost and CO2 emissions
- Fewer journeys, leads to less congestion
- Data61’s optimisation algorithms extend the scope of planning across the supply chain.
Tip Top Bakeries
Download the Improved Asset Utilisation brochure.
Coming up next: