BusPlus – Public Transport Innovation
Off-peak public transport is frequently inefficient, poorly utilised and expensive to deliver. Data61 has designed a “hub and shuttle” off-peak public transport option that provides improved service regardless of where you go, is convenient and reduces carbon emissions.
- A new weekend service
- Establish “hubs” in community / shopping centres
- Buses run frequently between hubs (every 15 minutes)
- Taxis shuttle passengers between their local bus stop and their nearest hub
- Bus and taxi legs all in the one ticket
- Users book via a website, phone or by downloading the app
- Book up to 15 minutes before travel
- Passengers can specify “depart after” or “arrive before” time
- System plans the whole route – pickup at your local stop, bus travel, and a taxi waiting at the other end to complete the journey
- Passengers may share taxis – up to three passengers per taxi
- Minibuses can also be used as shuttles.
- Faster travel times
- Reliable timetables across a broad region
- Social equity: improve access for all citizens to employment, social, cultural, and sporting life of the community
- Hubs concentrate demand, increasing efficiency of buses
- Buses only used where demand is greatest
- Taxi fleet adapts to variable demand
- Reduces CO2 emissions
- Complements light rail.
Working with the ACT Government towards a trial in 2015.
Download the BusPlus Brochure.
Coming up next: