It is early days in the FSP’s development and the team will expand within and beyond CSIRO. For now, we have a team working across five CSIRO Business Units:
Valuing Sustainability FSP team members
Dr Peat Leith
- Peat leads CSIRO’s Valuing Sustainability Future Science Platform and is project lead for the Sustainability Science Scaffolding Project. His research background as a social scientist in natural resource management across marine and coastal zone management, agriculture has focussed on how science can effectively underpin sustainability outcomes.
- Warren leads CSIRO’s Towards Net Zero mission which is targeted at lifting Australia’s capability to support Net Zero goals in hard-to-abate industry value chains and regions. The mission connects partners across industry, innovation system, governments, communities and within CSIRO’s business units to build and coordinate innovation capacity to accelerate progress towards Net Zero goals.
Dr Catherine Robinson
- Cathy Robinson is the project lead for the Valuing Local Provenance which focuses on how to support locally defined co-benefits into emerging sustainability markets. Cathy’s research as a social and sustainability scientist has been applied through a range of Indigenous-led initiatives that show how to accelerate innovation with ideas that empower Indigenous knowledge, on-country enterprises and communities.
Dr Aysha Fleming
- Aysha will be working with the resilience postdoc led by Jess Melbourne-Thomas. She is a social scientist interested in behaviour change for environmental sustainability and climate adaptation.
Dr Andrew Reeson
- Dr Andrew Reeson is an economist interested in the social and economic impacts of technology. He is leading the knowledge commons project investigating how sustainably knowledge can be efficiently and equitably shared.
Dr Lynne Macdonald
- As a soil scientists Lynne’s research focuses on developing tools and metrics to support resilient and sustainable land management, with particular interest in soil carbon stocks, flows, and associated biological functions. On the FSP leadership team she represents the agri-food arena and leads a project seeking to improve the value of soil indicators.
Dr Beth Fulton
- Beth is a mathematician and ecologist who has used models of our oceans and what’s in them to look at sustainability and climate change for the last twenty years. She will be part of the projects looking at the resilience and tipping points in socioecological systems (basically what will our world look like and how do we make it as safe and desirable as possible).
Dr Rowan Trebilco
- Rowan uses his expertese in marine systems ecology and natural resource management to support sustainable management of marine social-ecological systems. He leads the marine ecosystem modelling and assessment team CSIRO Oceans & Atmosphere’s Coasts & Ocean research program and is involved in the Future States and Reslience+ VS FSP projects.
Dr Jess Melbourne-Thomas
- Jess Melbourne-Thomas is the project lead for the Resilience + sustainability of socio-ecological networks project and is leading the marine component of the Future States project. Her research background is in ecosystem modelling and climate change science, with an increasing focus on connecting science, policy and practice through her roles as a knowledge broker and transdisciplinary researcher.
- Katie Ricketts is an economist interested in how individuals and firms navigate markets and institutions and how these systems govern behaviour and drive decision-making. Within the VS FSP, Katie is interested in identifying and identify new methods of co-creating co-benefits with rural and indigenous communities and better understanding how these benefits might be valued, realised, altered or distorted by other users and market actors.
Dr Anthony O’Grady
- Anthony leads the landscape and forest function team. He has a background in plant physiology and ecohydrology. More recently has been involved in the development of enterprise scale natural capital accounts and their use to enable adoption of sustainability.
Dr Fabio Boschetti
- Fabio is an applied mathematician. Not a specialist, but one with a fairly broad knowledge in different areas. For several years his work has focused on geoscientific applications. He now works in Complex System Science and applies his work to Ecological Modelling, Management of Natural Resources and Decision Making
Dr Becky Schmidt
- Becky Schmidt is a Principal Environmental Scientist in CSIRO Land and Water, leading interdisciplinary research in natural capital assessments and environmental-economic accounting. She is Integration Lead across the whole FSP; Project Leader for the Functional Ecosystems for Nature-positive Prosperity project; and contributes to the Sustainability Science Scaffolding and Future States projects.
Dr Taryn Kong
- Taryn apply thinking and approaches in cross-cultural participatory research, environmental sciences and business finance to integrate local knowledge in addressing sustainability issues. She collaborates with the team on valuing local provenance in the FSP.
Dr Kristen Williams
- Kristen specialises in the integration of ecosystem and landscape sciences to generate data and knowledge products informing systems of ecologically sustainable land management. She is the natural systems ecology activity co-lead with Dr Suzanne Prober, collaborating with colleagues to establish socially-relevant indicators of ecosystem function in the Functional Ecosystems for Nature-positive Prosperity project led by Dr Becky Schmidt. The natural systems ecology activity works closely with the Future States project led by Dr Anna Richards.
Dr Suzanne Prober
- Suzanne’s research aims to facilitate effective management and restoration of Australian ecosystems, including a focus on adaptation of biodiversity and ecosystems to climate change. She is the natural systems ecology activity co-lead with Dr Kristen Williams, collaborating with colleagues to establish socially-relevant indicators of ecosystem function in the Functional Ecosystems for Nature-positive Prosperity project led by Dr Becky Schmidt. She also contributes to the Future States project led by Dr Anna Richards.