Target 2023 Workshop: A practical guide to exploration hydrogeochemistry
Hydrogeochemistry has become a tool of interest in regional mineral exploration in Australia for various commodities. CSIRO’s Discovery Program has developed a practical workflow for mineral explorers which goes all the way from sample collection, field data capture (FAIMS mobile app), sample analyses, data handling (QA/QC), and data interpretation and integration. CSIRO has also developed a number of indices and element ratios for mineral exploration using hydrogeochemical data which are able to highlight regions of known and potential mineralisation across Australia. We now have a new tool XT Hydro to make the processing of these indices easier than ever before. A process which was previously time consuming for researchers is now producing faster, and more consistent results. This has also led to the compilation of a continental-scale hydrogeochemical database which provides baselines for many elements/parameters which can be used to put site data into perspective.
This workshop aims to introduce you to the why of hydrogeochemistry:
- What can it tell you about geology under cover, its strengths and weaknesses
- Targeting mineral systems at regional and camp scales
- How to collect consistent samples and the tools we can provide
- What laboratory analyses are required and at what detection limits
- How to check your data (QA/QC)
- How to process data with XT Hydro
- How to interpret your data within the regional context and tips for targeting
Field Sampling Demo
- What do you want?
- Where do you send it?
Lab data integration
- How do we prepare our data?
- How do we QA/QC our data?
- Contamination Factor and Value
XT Hydro makes years of hydrogeochemistry research available to anyone looking to get the most impact from their hydro data.
- calculation of hydrogeochemistry describers
- calculation of element and exploration indices
- easy mapping of input data (csv/spreadsheets)
- geospatial visualisation of calculated indices
XT Hydro is currently Open Beta and you can sign up for free at https://apps.exploration.tools/xt-hydro
- How do we visualise the data?
- Piper diagrams
- How do we interpret the data?
- What tools are available?
- The Geochemist’s Workbench
- Reid, Nathan; Hunt, Alex. Target 2023 Workshop: A practical guide to exploration hydrogeochemistry. In: Target 2023; 28 to end of 28 Jul 2023; Perth, WA. 6IAS; 2023. 108. csiro:EP2023-3147. http://hdl.handle.net/102.100.100/488540?index=1
- Reid, Nathan; Hunt, Alex; Thorne, Robert; Hille, John; Plet, Chloe; Noble, Ryan; Pinchand, Tenten; Gray, David (2023): Continental Scale Hydrogeochemical Data Collection. v1. CSIRO. Data Collection. https://doi.org/10.25919/hyh2-pm22
- Gray, David; Reid, Nathan; Noble, Ryan; Thorne, Robert; Giblin, Angela. Hydrogeochemical Mapping of the Australian Continent. Kensington, WA: CSIRO; 2019. csiro:EP195905. https://doi.org/10.25919/5d8bb939ef2f2
- Reid, Nathan; Thorne, Robert; Folkes, Chris; Gilmore, Phil; Pinchand, Tenten. Hydrogeochemistry of the Cobar Region. Geological Survey of NSW: CSIRO, GSNSW, MinEx CRC; 2021. csiro:EP207556. https://doi.org/10.25919/fv9r-zk57
- Bardwell, Nicki; Gray, David. Hydrogeochemistry of Western Australia – Data Release: Accompanying Notes. Perth: CSIRO; 2016. csiro:EP156404. https://doi.org/10.4225/08/5858206b20907
- Gray, David; Noble, Ryan; Reid, Nathan; Sutton, Gordon; Pirlo, Mark. Regional scale hydrogeochemical mapping of the northern Yilgarn Craton, Western Australia: a new technology for exploration in arid Australia. Geochemistry: Exploration, Environment, Analysis. 2016; 16(1, February 2016):100-115. https://doi.org/10.1144/geochem2014-333
- Gray, David; Reid, Nathan; Noble, Ryan. Improved hydrogeochemical exploration in the northwest Yilgarn Craton – Adding value to underexplored areas. Kensington, WA: CSIRO; 2014. csiro:EP143875. https://doi.org/10.4225/08/5858207ec0902
- Gray, David; Noble, Ryan; Reid, Nathan (2016): Hydrogeochemistry of north Yilgarn Craton (M414): Data Release. v2. CSIRO. Data Collection. https://doi.org/10.4225/08/5b0f96411947f
- Thorne, Robert; Reid, Nathan; Gray, David; Ballsun-Stanton, Brian; Bardwell, Nicki; Klump, Jens; Davis, Aaron; Ross, Shawn; Sobotkova, Adela. M436 Distal Footprints: UNCOVER Australia – Hydrogeochemistry of the Capricorn Orogen. Perth: CSIRO; 2018. csiro:EP182906. https://doi.org/10.25919/5cddb339279ec
- Reid, Nathan; Thorne, Robert; Tang, Joseph; Purdy, David John; Brown, Dominic; Plet, Chloe; Kamber, Balz; Pinchand, Tenten. Hydrogeochemistry of the Eastern Isa Block. Geological Survey of Queensland: Geological Survey of Queensland; 2022. csiro:EP2023-2432. http://hdl.handle.net/102.100.100/486872?index=1