Target 2023 Workshop: A practical guide to exploration hydrogeochemistry
Target 2023 conference: Targeting for a New Era of Discovery
Hydrogeochemistry has become a tool of interest in regional mineral exploration in Australia for various commodities. CSIRO’s Discovery Program has developed a practical workflow for mineral explorers which goes all the way from sample collection, field data capture (FAIMS mobile app), sample analyses, data handling (QA/QC), and data interpretation and integration. CSIRO has also developed a number of indices and element ratios for mineral exploration using hydrogeochemical data which are able to highlight regions of known and potential mineralisation across Australia. We now have a new tool XT Hydro to make the processing of these indices easier than ever before. A process which was previously time consuming for researchers is now producing faster, and more consistent results. This has also led to the compilation of a continental-scale hydrogeochemical database which provides baselines for many elements/parameters which can be used to put site data into perspective.
This workshop aims to introduce you to the why of hydrogeochemistry:
- What can it tell you about geology under cover, its strengths and weaknesses
- Targeting mineral systems at regional and camp scales
- How to collect consistent samples and the tools we can provide
- What laboratory analyses are required and at what detection limits
- How to check your data (QA/QC)
- How to process data with XT Hydro
- How to interpret your data within the regional context and tips for targeting
The Target 2023 conference will be held at the Esplanade Hotel, Fremantle, Perth, Australia on 24 July 2023 following the 6ias.