Synthetic Biology Postdoctoral Position – University of Florida
A Synthetic Biology postdoc position is open in the Hanson group https://www.adhansonlab.org/
We are applying synthetic biology to engineer plant and microbial metabolism. Our research aims for utility to agriculture and the bioeconomy (PMID: 31740769). Ongoing projects include:
- Directed evolution e.g. via the E. coli EvolvR and yeast OrthoRep systems to build more energy-efficient versions of the thiamin synthesis enzyme THI4 (PMID:30337452)
- Directed evolution to extend the life of enzymes so as to cut the energy cost of replacing them
- Developing new-to-nature synthetic pathways that benefit agriculture and the environment
We work extensively with groups at UF & other US/European institutions. These groups include synthetic biologists, metabolic engineers, computational biochemists, and plant biochemists.
The position involves contributing to lab management, e.g. ordering, coordinating routine tasks.
- PhD degree in biochemistry, microbiology, chemistry, biotechnology, or related discipline
- Proven organizational, time-management, and communication skills (oral and written)
- Experience with E. coli and preferably also yeast as genetic and metabolic platforms
- Strong interest in applying synthetic biology to metabolic engineering and in plants
Starting salary: $47,476/year. Fringe benefits include health insurance.
To apply: Please send CV and the contact information for 3 references to email@example.com