Internet Wide Measurement Platform
Goal of the project
Summary of the research project
The Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO) – Australia’s national science agency – is conducting a research project about measuring network performances of the Internet. Ultimately, this information will be useful in helping to improve the performance of the Internet. The collected data does not contain any personally identifiable information.
Research design and data collection
This research uses various scanning tools to make active Internet wide measurements. This includes a measurement SSL certificate validation, DNS resolution, or the monitoring of deployment of transport and network protocols. The collected data will not contain any personally identifiable information. Before carrying out such large-scale scans, we notify affected CERTs and abuse teams in advance. This is especially useful as some scanned parties have configured their IDS in such a way that their national CERT is always notified, too.
- Guillaume Jourjon, Senior Researcher at Data61, CSIRO, Australia
- Dali Kaafar, Group Leader at Data61, CSIRO, Australia
- Ralph Holz, Lecturer at University of Sydney
Usage disclaimer and privacy statement
The data collected through this research project will be used by the research team for statistical purposes in a de-identified form. It will be used in scientific publications and may also be used in designing better routing algorithms and content delivery networks for the internet.
If you have any questions about this project, please feel free to contact the project leader, Dr. Guillaume Jourjon, at Guillaume.Jourjon@data61.csiro.au.
For further information please contact us here http://www.csiro.au/en/Contact/Contact-Form
- Spam Mobile Apps: Characteristics, Detection, and in the Wild Analysis.
S. Seneviratne, A. Seneviratne, M. A. Kaafar, A. Mahanti, P. Mohapatra.
Journal Paper: To appear in Proceedings of ACM Transactions on the Web (TWEB), 2017.
- Characterizing Key Stakeholders in an Online Black-Hat Marketplace
S. Farooqi, M. Ikram, E. De Cristofaro, A. Friedman, G. Jourjon, M. A. Kaafar, Z. Shafiq, F. Zaffar.
Conference Paper: Symposium on Electronic Crime Research (eCrime 2017), April 2017
- An analysis of the Privacy and Security Risks of Android VPN Permission-enabled Apps
M. Ikram, N. V. Rodriguez, S. Seneviratne, M.A. Kaafar, V. Paxon
Conference Paper. ACM Internet Measurement Conference, Santa Monica CA, USA
- HEAP: Reliable assessment of BGP subprefix hijacking attacks
Ralph Holz, Johann Schlamp, Georg Carle, Quentin Jacquemart, Ernst Biersack
Journal Publication. IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communication, pp. 1849-1861, July, 2016.
- TLS in the wild – An Internet-wide analysis of TLS-based protocols for electronic communication
Ralph Holz, Johanna Amann, Olivier Mehani, Matthias Wachs, Dali Kaafar
Conference Paper. Network and Distributed System Security Symposium, San Diego, CA, pp. -, February, 2016.
- An Early Look at Multipath TCP Deployment in the Wild
Olivier Mehani, Ralph Holz, Simone Ferlin, Roksana Boreli
Conference Paper. HotPlanet 2015, 6th International Workshop on Hot Topics in Planet-Scale Measurement, in Conjunction with ACM MobiCom 2015, Paris, France, September, 2015.
- The rich and middle classes on Twitter: Are popular users indeed different from regular users?
Amit Ruhela, Amitabha Bagchi, Anirban Mahanti, Aaditeshwar Seth
Journal Publication. Computer Communications (Elsevier), July, 2015
- A Measurement Study of Tracking in Paid Mobile Applications
Suranga Seneviratne, Harini Kolamunna, Aruna Seneviratne
Conference Paper. ACM Conference on Security and Privacy in Wireless and Mobile Networks, New York, pp. 7:1–7:6, June, 2015.
- Paying for Likes? Understanding Facebook Like Fraud Using HoneypotsEmiliano De Cristofaro, Arik Friedman, Guillaume Jourjon, Dali Kaafar, Zubair M. Shafiq
Conference Paper. ACM SIGCOMM Internet Measurement Conference (ACM IMC), Vancouver, BC, Canada, pp. 129-136, November, 2014.
- Insights of File-Sharing System Forums
Guillaume Jourjon, Olivier Mehani, Thierry Rakotoarivelo
Conference Paper. WNM 2013, 7th IEEE Workshop on Network Measurements (co-located with LCN 2013), Sydney, Australia, pp. 948–955, October, 2013.