Rapid Diagnostics and Vaccination Strategy Preparedness
Fast diagnosis and containment of disease outbreaks are critical considerations in a risk preparedness strategy for an emergency animal disease outbreak. This project aims to deliver improved diagnostic capabilities (better tests and staff skilled in conducting these tests) and identify vaccines that have been shown to be effective against foot-and-mouth disease.
The Rapid Diagnostics and Vaccination Strategy Preparedness Project will:
- improve Australia’s understanding and preparedness for the threat of emergency animal diseases such as foot-and-mouth disease (FMD)
- Improve Australia’s ability to perform post-outbreak surveillance and return to trade
- enhance CSIRO-Australian Animal Health Laboratory capability to diagnose emergency animal diseases
- Provide recommendations on any necessary future changes to the composition of Australia’s FMD vaccine bank
- Build an international reputation as a country with excellent capabilities in the area of FMD research
Meet the team here.