Lingling Gao, Lars Kamphuis, Silke Jacques, Karam Singh
Aphids are ubiquitous sap-sucking insect pests with over 4,000 species causing substantial yield losses to agriculture worldwide. Damage is caused both by direct feeding, thereby draining plant nutrients from the phloem and as major vectors for disease transmission, transmitting over 50% of all plant viruses. Resistance to aphids has been identified in a number of plant species, yet the molecular mechanisms underlying aphid resistance remain largely unknown. The aim of our research is to identify key genes and pathways which are responsible for aphid resistance.
The focus of our research is on a pair of near isogenic lines of the model legume Medicago truncatula; A17 (susceptible) and Jester (resistant) in which single dominant genes provide resistance to bluegreen aphid (BGA), pea aphid (PA) and spotted alfalfa aphid (SAA). Applying and developing a range of techniques both on the plant and aphid side of the interaction enables us to start dissecting the molecular mechanisms underlying plant resistance and those employed by aphids to evade these defences.
- Kamphuis, Lars; Guo, Su-Min; Gao, Lingling; Singh, Karam, Genetic mapping of a major resistance gene to pea aphid (Acyrthosipon pisum) in the model legume Medicago truncatula, International Journal of Molecular Sciences, 2016. 17(8):1224.
- Kamphuis, Lars; Lichtenzveig, Judith; Peng, Kefan; Guo, Su-Min; Klingler, John; Siddique, Kadambot; Gao, Lingling; Singh, Karam, Characterization and genetic dissection of resistance to spotted alfalfa aphid (Therioaphis trifolii) in Medicago truncatula, Journal of Experimental Botany, 2013. 64(16): p.5157-5172.
- Kamphuis, Lars; Zulak, Katherine; Gao, Lingling; Anderson, Jonathan; Singh, Karam, Plant – aphid interactions with a focus on legumes, Functional Plant Biology, 2013. 40(12): p.1271–1284.
- Singh, Karam; Kamphuis, Lars; Gao, Lingling, Identification and characterization of resistance to cowpea aphid (Aphis craccivora Koch) in Medicago truncatula, BMC Plant Biology, 2012. 12(101).
- Guo, Su-Min; Kamphuis, Lars; Gao, Lingling; Klingler, John; Lichtenzveig, Judith; Edwards, Owain; Singh, Karam, Identification of distinct quantitative trait loci associated with defence against the closely related aphids Acyrthosiphon pisum and A. kondoi in Medicago truncatula, Journal of Experimental Botany, 2012. 63(10): p.3913-3922.
- The Intl. Aphid Genomics Consortium, (Collective); Edwards, Owain; Walsh, Tom; Gordon, Karl; Singh, Karam; Kamphuis, Lars; Campbell, Peter; Seah, Stuart, Genome sequence of the pea aphid, Acyrthosiphon pisum, PLoS Biology, 2010. 8(2):e1000313.
- Gao LL, Kamphuis LG, Kakar K, Edwards OR, Udvardi MK and Singh KB, Identification of potential early regulators of aphid resistance in Medicago truncatula via transcription factor expression profiling. New Phytologist, 2010. 186: p.980-994.
- Guo S, Kamphuis LG, Gao L, Edwards OR and Singh KB, Two independent resistance genes in the Medicago truncatula cultivar Jester confer resistance to two different aphid species of the genus Acyrthosiphon. Plant Signaling and Behavior, 2009. 4: 1-4.
- Klingler, J.P.; Nair, R.M.; Edwards, O.R.; Singh, K.B. A single gene, AIN, in Medicago truncatula mediates a hypersensitive response to both bluegreen aphid and pea aphid, but confers resistance only to bluegreen aphid, Journal of Experimental Botany. 2009. 60: p.4115–4127.
- Gao, L.L.; Klingler, J.P.; Anderson, J.P.; Edwards, O.R.; Singh, K.B. Characterization of pea aphid resistance in Medicago truncatula. Plant Physiology, 2008. 146: p.996–1009.