Capabilities and facilities
We have over 25 highly trained scientific and technical staff and a large number of students and visitors from various national and international universities and research organisations. We have also strong links with other CSIRO business units enabling the tackling of transdisciplinary research.
We have expertise in:
- Molecular biology
- OMICS methods (genomics, transcriptomics, proteomics, metabolomics)
- Synthetic Biology
- Metabolic modelling
- In silico molecular modelling
- Chemistry (biochemistry, inorganic chemistry, organic chemistry, biogeochemistry, (bio)electrochemistry, computational chemistry)
- Bioprocess design
- Environmental engineering
- Process monitoring, control and optimisation
Our facilities include well-equipped microbiology, molecular biology, biotechnology and analytical chemistry laboratories. Our laboratory facilities are located in Floreat (Perth, Western Australia), Black Mountain (Canberra, Australian Capital Territory) and Dutton Park (Brisbane, Queensland). Some of the laboratories have accreditation for work with imported samples and genetically modified organisms.
We also deploy a range of field equipment and perform research directly at contaminated sites and on industry infrastructure, such as water production bores, water distribution networks, and wastewater treatment plants.