Join the seL4 team
We’re hiring seL4 systems engineers!
Are you tired of the reactive, release-patch cycle of software development?
Do you want to work on secure and reliable software systems, while exploring bleeding edge ideas and pushing the boundaries?
Join the systems engineering team behind seL4, the world’s fastest and most trustworthy operating systems kernel. Our group is made up of researchers, engineers, professors and students in both formal verification and systems, working together to create systems that are trustworthy by design.
We are currently looking for entry-level, junior and mid-level engineers and soon will add a role for senior engineer.
“We are working on design & techniques that allow us to formally prove that systems adhere to the specification, making them truly trustworthy.”
Read more about the our team here.
You will join a diverse team of formal verification and operating systems engineers, researchers, professors and students to mature seL4 and its ecosystem into a platform ready to bring to the world. As systems engineers, our goal is to build a mature ecosystem around the seL4 kernel and bring trustworthy systems to the wider world.
You should be
- Interested in systems engineering, operating systems, and low-level hardware programming.
- Eager to work in a team of dedicated engineers, who constantly try to improve their techniques and skills.
- Comfortable working in a semi-autonomous team and following agile development practices.
- Open to new, challenging projects that you tackle with the team.
- Strongly motivated to contribute to open-source projects in your work time, and engage with a wider developer community.
Your work day
As a member of the systems engineering team, you will be involved in the following:
- Designing, implementing and testing systems software and platforms.
- We work on widely-used ARM and x86 platforms, as well as forward-looking architectures like RISC-V.
- Systems software includes OS services, virtual machine managers, network stacks, file systems and drivers.
- Contributing in code-review, as both as a reviewer and reviewee.
- Providing support for external partners, open-source contributors and other users of our platform.
- Creating resources for our developer community, such as documentation and tutorials.
- Improving our development operations, including build & test automation, dependency management and version control systems.
- Work closely with formal verification engineers and researchers to help them maintain and improve the mathematical models that make our systems the most rigorously verified ever
You don’t need to be familiar with all of the tools we use, but keen to learn how to use them!
- Software: C, CMake, Make, Python, Haskell, Rust, Bash, occasionally some Java.
- Issue tracking: Jira.
- Code review: Bitbucket & GitHub.
- Continuous Integration: Bamboo
- Revision control: Git & Google’s ‘repo’ tool.
Our Kensington office is located at the beautiful UNSW campus in Sydney. Enjoy flexible hours (our daily standup meeting is at 11am), flexible tools (use whatever OS and development tools you like), and a diverse team of people from all over the world. Read more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
We are currently hiring for a senior engineer: We will soon open a more senior role, which we will post here.