CyberPhysical Systems Research Program
I am a PhD student in Electrical Engineering and Telecommunication (EE&T) at the University of New South Wales (UNSW), and Data61, CSIRO. Australia. I am working under the supervision of Mohamed Ali (Dali) Kaafar. My PhD research work focuses on the privacy of mobile and wearable devices (Internet of Things). I aim to identify and combat privacy threats on mobile and wearable devices through the quantification and analysis of user behavioural biometrics.
My previous work experiences include working as a visiting scholar at the Sandia National Laboratories (SNL), Albuquerque, NM, and at the Cyber Security Policy and Research Institute, The George Washington University (GW) in Washington, D. C. My research work in both these institutions focused on risk measurement and evaluation of critical infrastructures, through threat models and risk methodologies.
I made multifaceted contributions at NUST School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science (SEECS), Pakistan, firstly as a Researcher, and then as a Lecturer. As a Research Assistant at KTH-Applied Information Security Lab (AIS), I conducted research in the area of Cloud computing with main emphasizes towards trust measurement & evaluation, secure virtualization, access control, and identity management systems of Cloud computing. More specifically, I designed and implemented security solutions for mitigating the security challenges at SaaS delivery model of cloud.
I completed my Master’s degree in Computer & Communication Security and Bachelor’s degree in Software Engineering. You can visit my Google profile for my research articles.
- Applied for Data Transparency Lab (DTL) 2016 Grant.
- Volunteered for IEEE International Conference on Pervasive Computing and Communications (PerCom), Sydney, Australia, 14-18 March 2016.
- Rahat Masood, Muhammad Awais Shibli, Yumna Ghazi, Ayesha Kanwal, Arshad Ali, “Cloud Authorization: Exploring Techniques and Approach towards Effective Access Control Framework”, In: Springer Journal ‘Frontiers of Computer Science, vol.9, pp 297-321, ISSN: 2095-2228, DOI: 10.1007/s11704-014-3160-4, Jan 2015. [Journal IF 0.405]
- Ayesha Kanwal, Rahat Masood, Muhammad Awais Shibli, Rafia Mumtaz, “Taxonomy for Trust Models in Cloud Computing”, In: The Computer Journal, Oxford Journals, ISSN: 1460-2067, Dec 2014. [Journal IF 0.888]
- Umme Habiba, Rahat Masood, Muhammad Awais Shibli, Muaz A. Niazi, “Cloud Identity Management Security Issues & Solutions: A Taxonomy”, In: SpringerOpen Journal Complex Adaptive Systems Modeling (CASM), vol.2, pp 1-37, ISSN: 2194-3206, Springer Berlin Heidelberg, DOI: 10.1186/s40294-014-0005-9, November, 2014. [SpringerOpen Journal]
- Muhammad Awais Shibli, Rahat Masood, Yumna Ghazi, Sead Muftic, “MagicNET: mobile agents data protection system”, In: Transactions on Emerging Telecommunications Technologies, Wiley Online Library, vol. 26, pp 813-835, Ltd. ISSN: 2161-3915, Dec, 2013. [Journal IF 1.354]
- Yumna Ghazi, Rahat Masood, Muhammad Awais Shibli, Sara Khurshid, “Usage-Based Access Control for Cloud Applications”, [Book Chapter]Innovative Solutions for Access Control Management, pp. 197-223. IGI Global, ISBN13: 9781522504481, DOI: 10.4018/978-1-5225-0448-1, May 2016.
- Faria Mehak, Rahat Masood, Yumna Ghazi, Muhammad Awais Shibli, Sharifullah Khan, “Security Aspects of Database as a Service (DBaaS) in Cloud Computing”, [Book Chapter] Cloud Computing: Challenges, Limitations and R&D Solutions, Springer International Publishing, pp 297-324, Online ISBN: 978-3-319-10530-7, DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-10530-7_132014, Oct 2014.
- Muhammad Awais Shibli, Rahat Masood, Umme Habiba, Ayesha Kanwal, Yumna Ghazi, Rafia Mumtaz,“Access Control as a Service in Cloud: Challenges, Impact and Strategies”, [Book Chapter] Continued Rise of the Cloud: Advances and Trends in Cloud Computing, Springer London, pp 55-99, DOI 10.1007/978-1-4471-6452-4_3, ISBN 978-1-4471-6452-4, July, 2014.
- Umme Habiba, Rahat Masood, Muhammad Awais Shibli, “Secure Identity Management System for Federated Cloud Environment”, [Book Chapter] Software Engineering, Artificial Intelligence, Networking and Parallel/Distributed Computing, Studies in Computational Intelligence, Springer International Publishing, pp 17-33, ISBN 978-3-319-10388-4, Vol.569, 2014.
- Yasir Mehmood, Muhammad Awais Shibli, Ayesha Kanwal, Rahat Masood, “Distributed Intrusion Detection System using Mobile Agents in Cloud Computing Environment” [Conference] Conference on Information Assurance and Cyber Security (CIACS), IEEE, pp 1-8, ISBN: 978-1-4673-7913-7, DOI: 10.1109/CIACS.2015.7395559, Rawalpindi, Pakistan, 18 Dec, 2015.
- Muhammad Awais Shibli, Rahat Masood, “Realization of FGAC Model using XACML Policy Specification”, [Conference] 16th IEEE/ACIS International Conference on Software Engineering, Artificial Intelligence, Networking and Parallel/Distributed Computing (SNPD), IEEE, pp 1-6, DOI: 10.1109/SNPD.2015.7176199, Takamatsu, Japan, 1-3 June, 2015.
- Anam Zahid, Rahat Masood, Muhammad Awais Shibli, “Security of Sharded NoSQL Databases: A Comparative Analysis”, [Conference] Conference on Information Assurance and Cyber Security (CIACS), IEEE, pp 1-8, ISBN: 978-1-4799-5851-1, DOI: 10.1109/CIACS.2014.6861323, National University of Sciences & Technology, Military College of Signals, Rawalpindi, Pakistan, 12–13 June, 2014.
- Ayesha Kanwal, Rahat Masood, Muhammad Awais Shibli, “Evaluation and Establishment of Trust in Cloud Federation”, [Conference] International Conference on Ubiquitous Information Management and Communication (ICUIMC), ACM, SIGAPP, ISBN: 978-1-4503-2644-5, DOI: 10.1145/2557977.2558023, Siem Reap, Cambodia, 9-11 January, 2014.
- Yasir Mehmood, Umme Habiba, Muhammad Awais Shibli, Rahat Masood, “Intrusion Detection System in Cloud Computing: Challenges and Opportunities”, [Conference] 2nd National Conference On Information Assurance (NCIA), IEEE, pp 59-66, ISBN: 978-1-4799-1287-2, DOI: 10.1109/NCIA.2013.6725325, Rawalpindi, 11-12 December, 2013.
- Umme Habiba, Abdul Ghafoor, Rahat Masood, Muhammad Awais Shibli, “Assessment Criteria for Cloud Identity Management Systems”, [Conference] 19th IEEE Pacific Rim International Symposium on Dependable Computing (PRDC), IEEE, pp 188-195, DOI: 10.1109/PRDC.2013.39, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, 2-4 December, 2013.
- Muhammad Kazim, Rahat Masood, Muhammad Awais Shibli, “Securing the Virtual Machine Images in Cloud Computing”, [Conference] 6th International Conference on Security of Information and Networks (SIN), ACM, SIGSAC, pp 425-428, ISBN: 978-1-4503-2498-4, DOI: 10.1145/2523514.2523576, Askaray, Turkey, 26-28 November, 2013.
- Muhammad Kazim, Rahat Masood, Muhammad Awais Shibli, Abdul Ghafoor Abbasi, “Security Aspects of Virtualization in Cloud Computing”, [Conference] 12th International Conference on Information Systems and Industrial Management (CISIM), Springer LNCS Series, pp 229-240, Vol. 8104, ISBN: 978-3-642-40925-7, DOI: 10.1007/978-3-642-40925-7_22, Krakow, Poland, 25-27 September, 2013.
- Rahat Masood, Muhammad Awais Shibli, “Fine Grained Access Control in Object-Oriented Databases”, [Conference] 8th FTRA International Conference on Future Information Technologies (FutureTech), Springer Berlin Heidelberg, pp 133-138, Vol. 276, ISBN: 978-3-642-40861-8, DOI: 10.1007/978-3-642-40861-8_20, Gwangju, Korea, 4-6 September, 2013.
- Ayesha Kanwal, Rahat Masood, Ume E Ghazia, Muhammad Awais Shibli, Abdul Ghafoor Abbasi, “Assessment Criteria for Trust Models in Cloud Computing”, [Conference] 9th IEEE International Conference on Green Computing and Communications (GreenCom), IEEE, pp 254-261, DOI: 10.1109/GreenCom-iThings-CPSCom.2013.61, Beijing, China, 20-23 August, 2013.
- Um e Ghazia, Rahat Masood, Muhammad Awais Shibli and Muhammad Bilal “Usage Control Model Specification in XACML Policy Language”, [Conference] 11th International Conference on Information Systems and Industrial Management (CISIM), Springer Berlin Heidelberg, pp 68-79, Vol. 7564, ISBN: 978-3-642-33260-9, DOI: 10.1007/978-3-642-33260-9_5, Venice, Italy, 26-28 September, 2012.
- Um e Ghazia, Rahat Masood and Muhammad Awais Shibli “Comparative Analysis of Access Control Systems on Cloud”, [Conference] 13th ACIS International Conference on Software Engineering, Artificial Intelligence, Networking and Parallel/Distributed Computing (SNPD), IEEE Computer Society Proceedings, pp 41- 46, ISBN: 978-1-4673-2120-4, DOI: 10.1109/SNPD.2012.33, Kyoto, 8-10 August, 2012.
- Rahat Masood, Um e Ghazi, Zahid Anwar, “Stuxnet Worm Analysis in Metasploit Framework (SWAM)”, [Conference] 9th International Conference on Frontiers of Information Technology (FIT), IEEE, pp 142-147, ISBN: 978-1-4673-0209-8, DOI: 10.1109/FIT.2011.34, Islamabad, Pakistan, 19-21 Dec, 2011.