Dr. Thierry Rakotoarivelo
Senior Research Scientist,
CyberPhysical Systems Research Program
- Oct. 2016: our paper “A Spectral-Based Clustering for Structural Health Monitoring of the Sydney Harbour Bridge” has been accepted for publication in theMechanical Systems and Signal Processing Journal (co-authors: Mehrisadat Makki Alamdari, Thierry Rakotoarivelo, Khoa Nguyen Lu Dang).
- Sept. 2016: our paper “Efficient and Scalable Runtime Monitoring for Cyber Physical System” has been accepted for publication in the IEEE Systems Journal (co-authors: X. Zheng, C. Julien, R. Podorozhny, F. Cassez, and T.Rakotoarivelo).
I am a Senior Research Scientist with the Networks Group at Data61, CSIRO. Prior to Data61, I was a Senior Researcher with NICTA (National ICT Australia). I worked on protocols and frameworks for large scale distributed testbeds (i.e. design, provisioning, control/orchestration, and instrumentation/measurement). I also worked on tools to enable reproducible experiments on these testbeds. Finally, I used and promoted these technologies to teach computing and networking courses.
Before joining NICTA, I completed my PhD in cotutelle with University of New South Wales (UNSW, Australia) and the Institut National Polytechnique of Toulouse (INPT, France). I worked on peer-to-peer mechanisms to discover and utilise Quality-of-Service enhanced alternate paths on the Internet. My thesis received the “Prix Léopold Escande” award from INPT.
Prior to that, I was a Senior Research Engineer at Motorola Australia Research Centre (MARC, now closed). I worked on Quality of Service technology for mission critical wireless and 802.11e-based networks.
Projects & Current Activities
- Thierry Rakotoarivelo, Guillaume Jourjon, Olivier Mehani, Max Ott, Michael Zink, A Walk Through the GENI Experiment Cycle, in The GENI Book, Springer, Eds. McGeer, R., Berman, M., Elliott, C., Ricci, R. 2016
- Mehrisadat Makki Alamdari, Thierry Rakotoarivelo, Khoa Nguyen Lu Dang, A Spectral-Based Clustering for Structural Health Monitoring of the Sydney Harbour Bridge, accepted for publication in Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, 2016.
- Xi Zheng, Christine Julien, Rodion Podorozhny, Franck Cassez, and Thierry Rakotoarivelo, Efficient and Scalable Runtime Monitoring for Cyber Physical System, accepted for publication in IEEE Systems Journal, 2016.
- Guillaume Jourjon, Johann M Marquez-Barja, Thierry Rakotoarivelo, Alexander Mikroyannidis, Kostas Lampropoulos, Spyros Denazis, Christos Tranoris, Daan Pareit, John Domingue, Luiz A DaSilva, Max Ott, FORGE Toolkit: Leveraging Distributed Systems in eLearning Platforms, IEEE Transactions on Emerging Topics in Computing, Dec. 2015.
- Olivier Mehani, Guillaume Jourjon, Thierry Rakotoarivelo and Max Ott. An Instrumentation Framework for the Critical Task of Measurement Collection in the Future Internet, Elsevier Computer Networks, Special issue on Future Internet Testbeds, pp. 68-83, April, 2014.
- Thierry Rakotoarivelo, Guillaume Jourjon and Max Ott. Designing and Orchestrating Reproducible Experiments on Federated Networking Testbeds, Elsevier Computer Networks, Special issue on Future Internet Testbeds, pp. 173-187, April, 2014.
- Stratos Keranidis, Dimitris Giatsios, Thanasis Korakis, Iordanis Koutsopoulos, Leandros Tassiulas, Thierry Rakotoarivelo, Max Ott, Thierry Parmentelat,Experimentation on end-to-end performance aware algorithms in the federated environment of the heterogeneous PlanetLab and NITOS testbeds, Elsevier Computer Networks, Special issue on Future Internet Testbeds, pp. 48-67, April, 2014.
- Thierry Rakotoarivelo, Max Ott, Guillaume Jourjon, and Ivan Seskar. OMF: A control and management framework for networking nestbeds. SIGOPS Operating Systems Review, 43(4):54–59, January 2010.
- Thierry Rakotoarivelo, Patrick Sénac, Aruna Seneviratne, Michel Diaz, SPAD: A distributed middleware architecture for QoS enhanced alternate path discovery, Elsevier Computer Networks, October, 2007.
- Binh Thai, Rachel Wan, Aruna Seneviratne, Thierry Rakotoarivelo, Integrated personal mobility architecture: a complete personal mobility solution, Mobile Networks and Applications, pp. 27-36, 2003.
- A. Anaissi, NLD. Khoa, T. Rakotoarivelo, M.M. Alamdari, Y. Wang, Self-advised Incremental One-Class Support Vector Machines: An Application in Structural Health Monitoring, International Conference on Neural Information Processing (ICONIP), 2017.
- Donatos Stavropoulos, Aris Dadoukis, Thierry Rakotoarivelo, Max Ott, Thanasis Korakis, Leandros Tassiulas, Design, architecture and implementation of a resource discovery, reservation and provisioning framework for testbeds, International Symposium on Modeling and Optimization in Mobile, Ad Hoc, and Wireless Networks (WiOpt), 2015.
- Victor Ramiro, Emmanuel Lochin, Patrick Sénac, Thierry Rakotoarivelo, Temporal random walk as a lightweight communication infrastructure for opportunistic networks, IEEE World of Wireless, Mobile and Multimedia Networks (WoWMoM), 2014.
- Didier El Baz, The Tung Nguyen, Guillaume Jourjon, Thierry Rakotoarivelo, HPC Applications Deployment on Distributed Heterogeneous Computing Platforms via OMF, OML and P2PDC, PDP 2014, the 22nd Euromicro International Conference on Parallel, distributed and network-based Computing., Turin, pp. N/A, February, 2014.
- Peter Runcie, Samir Mustapha, Thierry Rakotoarivelo, Advances in structural health monitoring system architecture, Fourth International Symposium on Life-Cycle Civil Engineering (IALCCE 2014)
- Guillaume Jourjon, Olivier Mehani, Thierry Rakotoarivelo, Insights of File-Sharing System Forums, WNM 2013, 7th IEEE Workshop on Network Measurements (co-located with LCN 2013), Sydney, Australia, October, 2013.
- Yan Shvartzshnaider, Maximilian Ott, Olivier Mehani, Guillaume Jourjon, Thierry Rakotoarivelo and David Levy, “Into the Moana” Hypergraph-based Network Layer Indirection, The 16th IEEE International Global Internet Symposium (GI 2013), April 2013, Turin, Italy.
- Victor Ramiro, Emmanuel Lochin, Patrick Senac, Thierry Rakotoarivelo, On the limits of DTN monitoring, IEEE World of Wireless, Mobile and Multimedia Networks (WoWMoM), 2013.
- Nikos Makris, Stratos Keranidis, Dimitris Giatsios, Thanasis Korakis, Iordanis Koutsopoulos, Leandros Tassiulas, Thierry Rakotoarivelo, Thierry Parmentelat, Cross-testbed experimentation using the Planetlab-NITOS federation, TridentCom 2012.
- Stratos Keranidis, Dimitris Giatsios, Thanasis Korakis, Iordanis Koutsopoulos, Leandros Tassiulas, Thierry Rakotoarivelo, Thierry Parmentelat, Experimentation in Heterogeneous European Testbeds through the Onelab Facility: The case of PlanetLab federation with the wireless NITOS Testbed, TridentCom 2012.
- Guillaume Jourjon, Thierry Rakotoarivelo and Max Ott, Why Simulate When You Can Experience?, ACM SIGCOMM Education Workshop 2011, August 2011, Toronto.
- Guillaume Jourjon, Thierry Rakotoarivelo, Christoph Dwertmann and Max Ott, LabWiki: An Executable Paper Platform for Experiment-based Research, The Executable Paper Grand Challenge, ICCCS meeting 2011, June 2011, Tsukuba, Japan.
- Guillaume Jourjon, Thierry Rakotoarivelo and Max Ott, A Portal to Support Rigorous Experimental Methodology in Networking Research, TridentCom 2011, May 2011, Shanghai. Best Paper Award of TridentCom 2011.
- Guillaume Jourjon, Thierry Rakotoarivelo, and Max Ott, From Learning to Researching, Ease the Shift through Testbeds, TridentCom 2010, May 2010, Berlin.
- Jolyon White, Guillaume Jourjon, Thierry Rakatoarivelo and Maximilian Ott, Measurement Architectures for Network Experiments with Disconnected Mobile Nodes, TridentCom 2010, May 2010, Berlin.
- Guillaume Jourjon, Thierry Rakotoarivelo and Max Ott, Models for an Energy-Efficient P2P Delivery Service, PDP 2010 – The 18th Euromicro International Conference on Parallel, Distributed and Network-Based Computing, Pisa – Italy, February, 2010.
- Thierry Rakotoarivelo, Max Ott, Guillaume Jourjon and Ivan Seskar, OMF: a Control and Management Framework for Networking Testbeds, SOSP Workshop on Real Overlays and Distributed Systems (ROADS ’09), Big Sky, USA, pp. 6, October, 2009.
- Hayoung Yoon, JongWon Kim, Maximilian Ott, Thierry Rakotoarivelo, Mobility emulator for DTN and manet applications, ACM international workshop on Experimental evaluation and characterization (WINTECH), 2009.
- Thierry Rakotoarivelo, Patrick Senac, Aruna Seneviratne, Michel Diaz, A peer-to-peer scheme to discover and select QoS enhanced alternate paths, IEEE Conference on Communication Systems Software and Middleware (COMSWARE), 2007.
- Thierry Rakotoarivelo, Patrick Senac, Aruna Seneviratne, Michel Diaz, A Proactive Scheme for QoS Enhanced Alternate Path Discovery in a Super-Peer Architecture, IEEE GLOBECOM, 2006
(other conference papers prior to 2006 and posters/demos are omitted)
- Peter Runcie, Athanassios Boulis, Maximiliam Ott, Rodney Berriman, Yuriy Tselishchev, Thierry Rakotoarivelo, Integrity of a civil structure, US Patent Number US20150142337 A1.
- Christopher Ware, Thierry Rakotoarivelo, System and method for adaptive polling in a WLAN, US Patent Number US7085256 B2.
- Christopher Ware, Raad Raad, Thierry Rakotoarivelo, Adaptive scheduling window management for a quality of service enabled local area network, US Patent Number US6961311 B2.
- Christopher Ware, Randy Ekl, Thierry Rakotoarivelo, Method and system for multicast scheduling in a WLAN, US Patent Number US20050135317 A1.
- OMF and OML, software frameworks and tools to control, manage, and instrument resources on large scale federations of testbeds
- GENI OpenTool Kit (GoTK)
- GENI Large-scale GENI Instrumentation and Measurement Infrastructure (GIMI): http://groups.geni.net/geni/wiki/GIMI
- Fed4FIRE and Onelab