Information Security and Privacy Group
–MRes / PhD Positions Openings and Scholarships. Interested in Postgraduate Research in Cyber Security and Online Privacy under my supervision?
Drop me an email at (Dali.kaafar\@\@\@mq.edu.au) with Subject line “Request for Applications for PhD (MRes) scholarship)“.
I need your CV in PDF format please (I won’t download neither open other formats). Start by taking a look at This for information about Admission/Scholarship/Research Proposals, Timelines, etc…
-Our paper “The Chain of Implicit Trust: An Analysis of the Web Third-party Resources Loading” is accepted in WWW 2019.
– Great News. Our paper “Private Continual Release of Real-Valued Data Streams” has been accepted in NDSS 2019. Check out the authors version here: The paper can be found at:
-Our Paper entitled “Incognito: A Method for Obfuscating Web Data” has been accepted to the Research Track of WWW 2018. Well-done Rahat !
-Our Paper on quantification of Behavioural tracking risks has been accepted at PETS’2018. Congrats Rahat and Ben.
-There has been quite a lot of media coverage on our work on VPN Mobile Apps Security and Privacy (IMC’16 paper) including ITWire, Slashdot, Security Week, ABC News, TheRegister, Technology Decisions, SHM, …
-Our paper “Measuring, Characterizing, and Detecting Facebook Like Farms” has been accepted in ACM Transactions on Privacy and Security.
-Our paper on “Towards Seamless Tracking-Free Web: Improved Detection of Trackers via One-class Learning” has been accepted to the Privacy Enhancing Technologies Symposium PETS’17. Well done Ikram.
-Two papers accepted at ACM Internet Measurement Conference IMC ’16 this year.
–SplitBox our Private Network Function Virtualization platform is to be presented at SIGCOMM hotmiddlebox.
-Our paper “Private Processing of Outsourced Network Functions: Feasibility and Constructions” has been selected as best paper of SDN-NFV Security and invited for the NFV World Congress.
-5 Jan. 2016. Our work on Implicit Authentication is featured in popular Australian lifestyle tech media outlet, Techly. The article is a forward-looking piece that discusses Data61’s fascinating research into the area of authentication.
-28 Nov 2015. Great ! Our paper designing and building an optimisation model for Search Engine Adwords management got accepted in IEEE INFOCOM 2016.
-17 Nov. 2015. I gave an interview to Sydney Morning Herald resulting in a coverage in the SMH, Digital Life section, titled “Your mobile phone may soon recognise you by the way you move”. The article has been syndicated to The Age, Canberra Times, WAToday and Brisbane Times.
– 24 Oct. 2015. Our Paper ” TLS in the wild: an Internet-wide analysis of TLS-based protocols for electronic communication” is accepted in NDSS 2016. A job well done Ralph and Olivier!
-19 Oct. 2015. I gave the Keynote Speech of IFIP Performance 2015, entitled :”Online security and Network measurement: The Why and how to get the best of the two worlds”.
– Our Paper on “Characterizing and Predicting Viral-and-Popular Video Content” has been presented in ACM International Conference on Information and Knowledge Management (ACM CIKM 2015).
-Attacks on Foxtail Human authentication Protocols. Published in IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics & Security. Good job Hassan. The paper entitled : “On the Linearization of Human Identification Protocols: Attacks based on Linear Algebra, Coding Theory and Lattices” can be found here.
-Another paper accepted in WWW15, the Web Science Track. The paper is on characterising user behaviour in Mobile Live Streaming Systems. Well-done Zhenyu!
-Great News ! Our paper “Early Detection of Spam Mobile Apps” got in WWW 2015 ! Congrats Suranga !
-Our research on Facebook Advertisement and likes fraud is featured in MIT Tech Review. The paper itself can be found here. Other media coverage include: The Telegraph, Pacific Standard, ACM Tech News,finance.yahoo.com
-Paper co-authored with UCI folks on “Stylometric Linkability of Tweets” accepted in WPES 2014 . Congrats guys!
-Our paper submitted to ACM CoNEXT 2014 got in. The paper is a joint work with ICT-CAS, QMUL and CMU. “Trace-Driven Analysis of ICN Caching Algorithms on Video-on-Demand Workloads” by Y. Sun, F. Seyed Kaveh, G. Yang, S. Vyas, J. Yun, M.A. Kaafar and S. Uhlig. Great job folks!
-We have two papers accepted in ACM Internet Measurement Conference (IMC 2014) this year. “Paying for Likes? Understanding Facebook Like Fraud Using Honeypots” with UCL and ucsd folks and “Censorship in the Wild: Analyzing Internet Filtering in Syria” with Inria and UCL folks. a Job well-done guys!
-A column entitled “The Privacy opportunity” I edited appeared in the Technology Decisions Magazine.
-Our paper “On the Effectiveness of Obfuscation Techniques in Online Social Networks” is accepted inPETS 2014. Well done team.
-Our paper “Censorship in the Wild: Analyzing Web Filtering in Syria” attracted media attention: MIT Tech Review, PysicsCentral, BoingBoing, Newsweek, Motherboard, ACM Technews, TheRegister, etc.
–Online Shoppers: before you click that ads, read this. Theconversation column Also, in the Sydney Morning Herald, the age, live science and real clear Technology
-Well Done Team! Our paper “On the Geographical patterns of a Large-Scale Mobile Video-on-Demand System” is accepted in IEEE INFOCOM 2014
December 2015 – present: Group Leader of the Networks Research Group at CSIRO Data61, Australia.
February 2014-December 2015 : Research Leader at the Mobile Systems Research Group (MSRG) NICTA, Australia.
Feb. 2012-present : Principal Researcher at the Network Research Group NICTA, Australia.
May 2013-present : Visiting Professor at ICT-China Academy of Science (CAS), Beijing China.
2008-2013: Research Scientist at PLANETE (Privatics) team, INRIA Rhone-Alpes, France.
2007-2008 Post-Doctoral researcher at the Research Unit in Networking (RUN) at the University of liege, Belgium.
Highly motivated potential PhD Students (with strong record) and post-docs who are keen to conduct research on Web Security – Online Privacy including Privacy preserving Technologies, Mobile security, Risks modelling and/or Internet measurement and secure systems design in Sydney Australia, please drop me an email (dali.kaafar@-@-@data61.csiro.au ) including your topics of interest, a copy of your academic transcript and resume (CV)! Please refer to the Macquarie University admission and scholarship pages first.
Several Open PhD Positions,
If you are interested in PhD positions in Sydney working on Cyber Security and Privacy Issues, Please Send me an Email (but before have a look here)
Contact me for a list of research projects of potential interest.
Current PhD students:
Shakila Mahjabin, Macquarie University. Topic: Privacy in AI.
Usman Shaukat, Macquarie University. Topic: Privacy and security in Edge Computing.
Nan Wu, Macquarie University. Topic: Utility-Privacy Tradeoffs in Data analytics.
Rahat Masood, Data61-UNSW, Topic: Privacy for wearable devices.
Ben Zha, Data61-UNSW, Topic: Next Generation Authentication techniques.
Past PhD students:
Ikram Muhammad, Data61-UNSW. Topic: Usable Privacy Preserving Technologies. Post Doc: University Michigan, Optus Macquarie University Cyber Security Hub.
Arash Shaghaghi, Data61-UNSW, co-supervised with Sanjay Jha, UNSW. Topic: Securing Large Enterprise Networks.
Zainab Abaid, Data61-UNSW, co-supervised with Sanjay Jha, UNSW. Topic: Early detection of Malware.
Jagmohan Chauhan, Data61-UNSW, co-supervised with Aruna Seneviratne. Topic: Security and Privacy of under-powered devices.
Abdelberi Chaabane, Inria. Graduated in May 2013. Topic: Privacy in online social networks. Currently Post-Doctoral researcher at Northeastern University.
Minh-Dung Tran, Inria, Graduated in November 2013. Topic: Privacy challenges in Online Targeted Advertising. Currently leading system Architect at Probayes.
Dong Wong, Inria/ICT-China Academy of Science. Graduation July 2015. Topic:Models for data Extraction and their applications to the digital economy . Currently Principal Engineer at Yahoo!
Associate Editor of ACM Transactions on Modeling and Performance Evaluation of Computing Systems (ACM ToMPECS)
Editorial Board member of Journal of Privacy Enhancing Technologies (PoPET).
General Chair of PAM 2017.
Guest Editor for the IEEE Internet Computing on Small Wearable Internet 2015
TPC Member of IMC 2017, ACM CoNEXT 2017, ACM CoNEXT 2016, PETS 2016, IEEE ICC 2016, IFIP TMA 2016, SIGCOMM AINTEC 2016, ACM CoNEXT 2015, ACM IMC 2015, WWW 2015, IEEE MASCOTS 2015, PETS 2015, IFIP TMA 2015, HotPlanet 2015.
TPC co-chair of CoNext 2015 Student Workshop.
Some previous community services :
TPC Co-chair of ACM Mobicom SPME (Security and Privacy in Mobile Environment) workshop 2014,
TPC co-Chair of ACM SIGMETRICS PADE workshop 2012, Co-Chair of IEEE LCN PADE 2013-2014,
ACM CoNEXT 2014, PETS 2014, IEEE HPCC 2014, ACM HotPlanet 2014, SecureComm 2013-2014, SESOC 2014.
ACM CoNEXT travel Grant chair.
Internet Science 2013, Internet, Interdisciplinarity & Innovation (In3 2013), Eurosys Workshop on Measurement, Privacy, and Mobility (MPM) 2013 and 2012, Colloquium on IT Security, Cyber Forensics and Combatting Cybercrime 2011.
Panelist in IEEE CCW 2012, Panelist in the Colloquium on IT Security, Cyber Forensics and Combatting Cybercrime 2011.
Chair of the Panel “Cyber Security Versus Online Privacy”, Sydney, November 2013.
– M. Ikram, R. Masood, G. Tyson, M. A. Kaafar, N. Loizon and R. Ensafi, “The Chain of Implicit Trust: An Analysis of the Web Third-party Resources Loading”, to be published in the Web Conference ACM WWW 2019, San Francisco May 2019.
– V. Perrier, H. Asghar and M.A. Kaafar, “Private Continual Release of Real-Valued Data Streams”, to be published in NDSS 2019, San Diego, CA, February 2019.
– A. Shaghaghi, S. Kanhere, M.A. Kaafar, E. Bertino, S. Jha, “Gargoyle: A Network-based Insider Attack Resilient Framework for Organizations”, in IEEE LCN 2018.
– F. Jiang, K. Thilakarathna, S. Mrabet, M.A. Kaafar, A. Seneviratne, uStash: a Novel Mobile Content Delivery System for Improving User QoE in Public Transport” in IEEE Transactions of Mobile Computing 2018.
-R. Masood, M. Ikram, D. Vatsalan, M.A. Kaafar, “Incognito: A Method for Obfuscating Web Data”, In Proceedings of WWW 2018 (Research Track), Lyon, April 2018.
– A. Shaghaghi, M.A. Kaafar, R. Buyya, S. Jha, “Software-Defined Network (SDN) Data Plane Security: Issues, Solutions and Future Directions”, Accepted in Cluster Computing 2018.
-R. Masood, B. Zhao, H. Asghar, M.A. Kaafar, “Touch and You’re Trapp(ck)ed: Quantifying the Uniqueness of Touch Gestures for Tracking”, in Privacy-Enhancing Technologies Symposium (PETS 2018), Barcelona, Spain July 24–27, 2018. TouchTrack_PETS-2018-Final_Kaafar
– H. Asghar, M.A. Kaafar, ”When are Identication Protocols with Sparse Challenges Safe? The Case of the Coskun and Herley Attack”, in Journal of Mathematical Cryptology, 2018.
M. Ding, D. Lopez-Perez, H. Claussen, M. A. Kaafar, “On the Fundamental Characteristics of Ultra-Dense Small Cell Networks”, To appear in IEEE Network Magazine, 2018.
– M. Ikram, M.A. Kaafar, “A First Look at Mobile Ad-Blocking Apps”, In Proceedings of the IEEE International Symposium on Network Computing and Applications (NCA 2017).
-Z. Abaid, M.A. Kaafar, S. Jha, “Quantifying the Impact of Adversarial Evasion Attacks on Machine Learning Based Android Malware Classifiers”, In Proceedings of the IEEE International Symposium on Network Computing and Applications (NCA 2017).
– W. Wu, R. P. Liu, W. Ni, M.A. Kaafar, X. Huang, “AC-PROT: An Access Control Model to Improve Software-Defined Networking Security”, in Proceedings of the 2017 IEEE 85th Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC), June 2017.
– M. Ikram, H. Asghar, M.A. Kaafar, A. Mahanti, B. Krishnamurthy, “Towards Seamless Tracking-Free Web: Improved Detection of Trackers via One-class Learning”, in Privacy-Enhancing Technologies Symposium (PETS) 2017. Authors version
-Z. Abaid, M.A. Kaafar, S, Jha, “An Empirical Analysis of Synchronised Malicious Behaviour Preceding Botnet Attacks”, In IFIP Networking, Stockholm June 2017.
-M. Ikram, L. Onwuzurike, S. Farooqi, E. DeCristofaro, A. Friedman, G. Jourjon, M.A. Kaafar, Z, Shaq, “Measuring, Characterizing, and Detecting Facebook Like Farms”, In ACM Transactions on Privacy and Security (TOPS) 2017.
-J. Chauhan, B. Zhao, H. Asghar, J. Chan and M.A. Kaafar, “BehavioCog: An Observation Resistant Authentication Scheme”, In Financial Cryptography (FC’17) 2017.
-A. Shaghagh, M.A. Kaafar, S. Jha, “WedgeTail : An Intrusion Prevention System for the Data Plane of Software Dened Networks”, In Proceedings of the ACM Asia Conference on Computer and Com- munications Security (ASIACCS) 2017, Hong Kong, April 2017.
– J. Fangzhou, K. Thilakarathna, M.A. Kaafar, A. Seneviratne, “Crowd-Cache: Leveraging on Spatio-Temporal Correlation in Content Popularity for Mobile Networking in Proximity” Accepted in Computer Communications, 2017.
-Z. Li, G. Xie, M.A. Kaafar, W. Qinghua, “Access Types Effect on Internet Video Services and Its Implications on CDN Caching” In IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology 2017.
– S. Seneviratne, A. Seneviratne, M. A. Kaafar, A. Mahanti, P. Mohapatra. “Spam Mobile Apps: Characteristics, Detection, and in the Wild Analysis”, To appear in ACM Transactions on the Web (TWEB), 2017.
-S. Farooqi, M. Ikram, E. Decristofaro, A. Friedman, G. Jourjon, M.A. Kaafar, Z. Shaq, F. Zaffar, “Characterizing Key Stakeholders in an Online Black-Hat Marketplace”, In Proceedings of The Symposium on Electronic Crime Research (eCrime) 2017.
-Z. Li, X. Wang, N. Huang, M.A. Kaafar, Z. Li, J. Zhou, G. Xie, P. Steenkiste, “Mobile Cloud Storage: A File Hosting or a Backup Service?”, in ACM IMC 2016.Authors Version PDF
-M. Ikram, N. V. Rodriguez, S. Seneviratne, M.A. Kaafar, V. Paxon, “An analysis of the Privacy and Security Risks of Android VPN Permission-enabled Apps”, in ACM IMC 2016. Authors version
– Zhenyu Li ; Mohamed Ali Kaafar ; Kave Salamatian ; Gaogang Xie, “Characterizing and Modeling User Behavior in a Large-scale Mobile Live Streaming System”, Published in IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology ( Volume: PP, Issue: 99 ), July 2016, DOI: 10.1109/TCSVT.2016.2595325
– Kanchana Thilakarathna, Suranga Seneviratne, Kamal Gupta, Mohamed Ali Kaafar, Aruna Seneviratne, A Deep Dive into Location-based Communities in Social Discovery Networks, Elsevier Computer Communications, Available online 21 November 2016, ISSN 0140-3664, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.comcom.2016.11.008.
-A. Friedman, S. Berkovsky, M. Kaafar, “A Differential Privacy Framework for Matrix Factorization Recommender Systems”, Published in User Modeling and User-Adapted Interaction: The Journal of Personalization Research (UMUAI) 2016. Authors version
-Z. Abaid, D. Sarkar, M.A. Kaafar, S. Jha, “The Early Bird Gets the Botnet: A Markov Chain Based Early Warning System for Botnet Attacks”, in LCN 2016. Authors version
-H. Asghar, L. Melis, C. Soldani, E. De Cristofaro, M.A. Kaafar, L. Mathy, “SplitBox: Toward Efficient Private Network Function Virtualization”, in ACM SIGCOMM Workshop on Hot Topics in Middleboxes and Network Function Virtualization, HotMiddleBox 2016. Authors version
-J. Chauhan, H. J. Asghar, M. A. Kaafar, A. Mahanti, “Gesture-based Continuous Authentication for Wearable Devices: The Smart Glasses Use Case”, in Applied Cryptography and Network Security (ACNS) 2016.
-J. Chauhan, S. Seneviratne, M. A. Kaafar, A. Mahanti, A. Seneviratne, “Characterization of Early Smartwatch Apps”, in WristSense (PERCOM workshop), 2016.
-J. Chauhan, M. A. Kaafar, A. Mahanti, “The Web for Under-Powered Mobile Devices: Lessons learned from Google Glass”, in IEEE Internet Computing 2016.
-Q. Wu, Z. Li, G. Tyson, S. Uhlig, M.A. Kaafar, G. Xie, “Privacy-aware Multipath Video Caching for Content-Centric Networks”, in IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications (JSAC), Special Issue on Video Distribution over Future Internet, 2016. Pre-Print Version
-L. Melis, H. Asghar, E. De Cristofaro, M.A. Kaafar, “Private Processing of Outsourced Network Functions: Feasibility and Constructions” , in ACM International Workshop on Security in Software Defined Networks & Network Function Virtualization (SDN-NFV Security 2016), New Orleans, March 2016. Pre-print Version
-I. Anggono, H. Haddadi, M.A. Kaafar, “Preserving Privacy in Geo-Targeted Advertising”, in ACM WSDM TargetAd Workshop, San Francisco, February 2016. Pre-Print Version
-D. Wang, Z. Li, M.A. Kaafar, K. Salamatian, G. Xie, “From Social trends to Profit: An optimisation model for Search Engine Adwords management”, In IEEE INFOCOM 2016, San Francisco, April 2016. Pre-print Version
-R. Holz, J. Amann, O. Mehani, M. Wachs, M. A. Kaafar, ” TLS in the wild: an Internet-wide analysis of TLS-based protocols for electronic communication’ accepted in the Network and Distributed System Security Symposium (NDSS 2016), San Diego, February 2016. Pre-print version.
-D. Vallet, S. Berkovsky, M.A. Kaafar, S. Ardon, A. Mahanti, “Characterizing and Predicting Viral-and-Popular Video Content”, in The 24th ACM International Conference on Information and Knowledge Management (ACM CIKM 2015), Melbourne, October 2015. pdf
– A. Berlioz, A. Friedman; S. Berkovsky, M. A. Kaafar, R. Boreli, “Applying Differential Privacy to Matrix Factorization”, in ACM Recommender Systems (ACM RecSys 2015), Vienna, September 2015. pdf
– F. Jiang, K. Thilakarathna, M. A. Kaafar, F. Rosenbaum and A. Seneviratne, “A Spatio-temporal analysis of Mobile Internet Traffic in Public Transportation Systems – A view of Web Browsing from the Bus”, Accepted in the Tenth ACM MobiCom Workshop on Challenged Networks (ACM CHANTS 2015), Paris, September 2015. pdf
– H. J. Asghar, S. Ron, S. Li, M.A. Kaafar, J. Pieprzyk, “On the Linearization of Human Identification Protocols: Attacks based on Linear Algebra, Coding Theory and Lattices”, in IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics & Security (TIFS), April 2015. pdf or a Pre-print version
-Z. Li, M.A. Kaafar, K. Salamatian. G. Xie, “User Behavior Characterization of a Large-scale Mobile Live Streaming System”, in the International World Wide Web Conference (WWW 2015) web science track, Florence, Italy, May 2015. pdf
-S. Seneviratne, A. Seneviratne, M.A. Kaafar, A. Mahanti and P. Mohapatra, “Early Detection of Spam Mobile Apps”, in the International World Wide Web Conference (WWW 2015), Research Track, Florence, Italy, May 2015. pdf
-J. Zhou, Q. Wu, Z. Li, M.A. Kaafar, G. Xie, “A proactive transport mechanism with explicit congestion notification for NDN”, in IEEE ICC 2015 – Next Generation Networking Symposium, London, June 2015. pdf
-M. Almishari, G. Tsudik, M. A. Kaafar and E. Oguz, “Stylometric Linkability of Tweets”, In the International Workshop on Privacy in the Electronic Society (WPES 2014), Scottsdale, Arizona, USA – November 2014. pdf
-Y. Sun, F. Seyed Kaveh, G. Yang, S. Vyas, J. Yun, M.A. Kaafar and S. Uhlig, “Trace-Driven Analysis of ICN Caching Algorithms on Video-on-Demand Workloads”, In ACM CoNEXT 2014, Sydney, December 2014. pdf
-E. De Cristofaro, A. Friedman, G. Jourjon , M.A. Kaafar and Z. Shafiq, ”Paying for Likes? Understanding Facebook Like Fraud Using Honeypots”, In ACM IMC 2014, November 2014, Vancouver. pdf (this is an arxiv version of the paper, might be different from the conference version)
-A. Chaabane, T. Chen, A. Friedman , M. Cunche, E. De Cristofaro and M.A. Kaafar “Censorship in the Wild: Analyzing Internet Filtering in Syria”, in ACM IMC 2014, November 2014, Vancouver. pdf (this is an arxiv version of the paper, might be different from the conference version)
-W. Wang, Y. Sun, K. Zheng, M. A. Kaafar, D. Li, Z. Li, “Freeway: Adaptively Isolating the Elephant and Mice Flows on Different Transmission Paths”, in IEEE ICNP 2014, October 2014, Raleigh. pdf
-T. Chen, R. Borelli, M. A. Kaafar, A. Friedman, “On the Effectiveness of Obfuscation Techniques in Online Social Networks”, in PETS 2014, July 2014, Amsterdam. pdf
-J. Chauhan, A. Mahanti, M. A. Kaafar, ”Towards the Era of Wearable Computing?”, in CoNEXT Student Workshop Sydney, 2014.
-J. Chauhan, H. J. Asghar, M. A. Kaafar, A. Mahanti, ”Gesture-based Continuous Authentication for Wearable Devices: the Google Glass Case”, December 2014, arXiv preprint arXiv:1412.2855
– K. Thilakarathna, F. Jiang, S. Mrabet, M.A. Kaafar, A. Seneviratne, P. Mohapatra, ”Crowd-Cache: Popular Content for Free”, Demo in ACM SIGMOBILE International Conference on Mobile Systems, Applications and Services (Mobisys), Bretton Woods, NH, USA, June, 2014. pdf
-A. Tiroshi, S. Berkovsky, M. A. Kaafar, D. Vallet, T. Kuflik, “Graph-Based Recommendations: Make the Most Out of Social Data”, in User Modeling, Adaptation and Personalization (UMAP 2014), July 2014, Aalborg, Denmark. pdf
-A, Chaabane, T. Chen, M. Cunche, A. Friedman, E. De Cristofaro, M.A. Kaafar, “Censorship in the Wild: Analyzing Web Filtering in Syria”, Arxiv Archive, Feb. 2014. pdf
-Z. Li, G. Xie, J. Lin, Y. Jin, M. A. Kaafar, K. Salamatian, “On the Geographical Patterns of a large-scale Mobile Video on-demand System”, In IEEE INFOCOM 2014, April 2014, Toronto Canada. pdf
-I. Ullah, R. Borelli, M. A. Kaafar, S. Kanhere “Characterising User Targeting For In-App Mobile Ads” inIEEE Infocom Workshop BigSecurity 2014, Toronto Canada. pdf
– W. Wang, S. Yi, Y. Guo, M. A. Kaafar, Z. Li. “CRCache: exploiting the Correlation between Content Popularity and Network Topology for ICN Caching”, in IEEE ICC 2014, Sydney.
-A. Tiroshi, S. Berkovsky, M.A. Kaafar, D. Vallet, T. Chen, T. Kuflik ”Improving Business Rating Predictions Using Graph Based Features”, In Proc. of International conference on intelligent user interfaces (IUI 2014), Haifa, 2014. pdf
-T. Chen, M. A. Kaafar, R. Boreli, “Information Leakage Through Mobile Analytics Services”, in the 15th ACM International Workshop on Mobile Computing and Applications (HotMobile’14), February 2014, Santa Barbara, US. pdf
-A. Chaabane, Y. Ding, R. Dey, M. A. Kaafar, K. Ross, “A Closer look at Third-Party OSN Applications: Are they Leaking your Personal Information?”, in Passive Active Measurement conference (PAM 2014), Los Angeles, 2014. pdf
-G.Smith, R. Boreli, M. A. Kaafar, “A Layered Secret Sharing scheme for Automated Profile Sharing in OSN Groups”, in the Tenth Annual International Conference on Mobile and Ubiquitous Systems: Computing, Networking and Services (MobiQuitous 2013), Tokyo Japan, December 2013. pdf
-A. Tiroshi, S. Berkovsky, M.A. Kaafar, T. Chen, T. Kuflik, “Cross Social Networks Interests Predictions Based on Graph Features”, in ACM Recommender Systems Conference (RecSys 2013), Hong Kong, September 2013. pdf
-T. Launiger, K. Onarlioglu, A. Chaabane, E. Kirda, W. Robertson, M. A. Kaafar, “Holiday Pictures or Blockbuster Movies? Insights into Copyright Infringement in User Uploads to One-Click File Hosters”, in the Research in Attacks, intrusions and Defenses Symposium (RAID 2013). pdf
-M. A. Kaafar, S. Berkovsky, B. Donnet “On the Potential of Recommendation Technologies for Efficient Content Delivery Networks” Editorial notes In SIGCOMM Computer Communication Review CCR 2013. pdf
-A. Chaabane, E. De Cristofaro, M. A. Kaafar, E. Uzun “Privacy in Content-Oriented Networking: Threats and Countermeasures” In SIGCOMM Computer Communication Review CCR, presented at ACM SIGCOMM 2013. pdf
-G. Sarwar, O. Mehani, R. Boreli, M. A. Kaafar “On the effectiveness of Dynamic Taint Analysis for Monitoring Private Information on Android-based Mobile Devices”, In SECRYPT 2013. pdf
-T.Chen, A. Chaabane, P-U. tournoux, M.A. Kaafar, R. Boreli “How much is too much: Leveraging Ads Audience Estimation to Evaluate Public Profile Uniqueness”, In PETS 2013. pdf
-T. Chen, M. A. Kaafar, R. Boreli “The where and when of finding new friends: analysis of a location-based social discovery network”, in ICWSM 2013. pdf
-D. Wang, H. Park, G. Xie, S.Moon, M.A. Kaafar, K.Salamatian, “A Genealogy of Information Spreading on Microblogs: a Galton-Watson-based Explicative Model”, In IEEE INFOCOM 2013. pdf
-M. Cunche, M A Kaafar, R. Boreli, “Linking Wireless Devices Using Information Contained in Wi-Fi Probe Requests”, In The Pervasive and Mobile Computing journal PMC 2013. pdf
-Yonggong Wang, Gaogang Xie, Mohamed Ali Kaafar, Steve Uhlig, “LMD: a local minimum driven and self-organized method to obtain locators”, In the 18th IEEE Symposium on Computers and Communications (ISCC 2013), 2013. pdf
-A. Seneviratne, K. Thilakarathna, S. Seneviratne, M. A. Kaafar, P. Mohapatra, “Reconciling Bitter Rivals: Towards Privacy-Aware and Bandwidth Efficient Mobile Ads Delivery Networks”, Invited paper in the International Conference on Communication Systems and Networks (COMSNETS 2013), January, 2013. pdf
-Z. Li, J. Lin, M. Akodjenou, G. Xie, M. A. Kaafar, Y. Jin, G. Peng, “Watching Videos from Everywhere: a Study of the PPTV Mobile VoD System”, In ACM/Usenix Internet Measurement Conference (ACM IMC 2012). pdf
-L. Jacquin, V. Roca, M. A. Kaafar, F. Schuler, J. L. Roch, “IBTrack: An ICMP Black holes Tracker”, In IEEE Globecom 2012. pdf
-T. Chen, M. A. Kaafar, A. Friedman, R. Boreli, “Is More Always Merrier? A Deep Dive Into Online Social Footprints”, In ACM SIGCOMM WOSN 2012. pdf
– A. Chaabane, M. A. Kaafar, R. Boreli, “Big Friend is Watching You: Analyzing the tracking capabilities of online social networks”, In ACM SIGCOMM WOSN 2012. pdf
-C. Castelluccia, M. A. Kaafar, M. D. Tran, “Betrayed by Your Ads! Reconstructing User Profiles From Targeted Ads”, In PETS 2012, July 2012 Vigo, Spain. pdf
-Y. Wang, G. Xie, M. A. Kaafar, “FPC: A self-organized greedy routing in scale-free networks”, In the 17th IEEE Symposium on Computers and Communications (ISCC 2012), 2012. pdf
-M. Cunche, M. A. Kaafar, R. Boreli, “I know who you will meet this evening! Linking wireless devices using Wi-Fi probe requests” In the IEEE International Symposium on a World of Wireless, Mobile and Multimedia Networks (WoWMoM 2012) San Francisco, 2012. (Best Paper Runner-Up). pdf
-A. Chaabane, G. Acs, M. A. Kaafar, “You Are What You Like! Information leakage through users’ Interests” In The Network & Distributed System Security Symposium (NDSS 2012), San Diego, 2012. pdf
-B. Donnet, B. Gueye, and M. A. Kaafar. Path similarity evaluation using bloom filters. In The International Journal of Computer and Telecommunications Networking (Computer Networks) 2012. Preprint Version
-C. Castelluccia, E. De Cristofaro, A. Francillon, M. A. Kaafar ”EphPub: Toward Robust Ephemeral Publishing” In Proceedings of the 19th IEEE International Conference on Network Protocols (ICNP 2011), 2011. Preprint Version
– Daniele Perito, Claude Castelluccia, Mohamed Ali Kaafar, Pere Manils. “How Unique and Traceable are Usernames” In the 11th Privacy Enhancing Technologies Symposium(PETS 2011), Waterloo CA 2011. (Best Student Paper Award) pdf
– Ingmar Poese, Steve Uhlig, Mohamed Ali Kaafar, Benoit Donnet and Bamba Gueye, “IP Geolocation Databases: Unreliable?” in ACM SIGCOMM Computer Communication Review CCR,41(2), April 2011. pdf
– S. Leblond, A. Chaabane, P. Manils, M.A. Kaafar, C. Castelluccia, A. Legut, W. Dabbous, “One Bad Apple Spoils the Bunch: Exploiting P2P Applications to Trace and Profile Tor Users”, in USENIX Workshop on Large Scale Exploits and Emergent Threats (LEET’11), Boston, April 2011.
– A. Chaabane, P. Manils, M.A. Kaafar, “Digging into Anonymous Traffic: a deep analysis of the Tor anonymizing network”, in Proceeding of the IEEE Conference on Network and System Security (NSS), Melbourne, September 2010.
– C. Boucetta, M. A. Kaafar, M. Minier. How secure are secure localization protocols in WSNs. In the International ICST Conference on Wireless Sensor Network (WSN) Systems and Software, S-Cube,Miami, December 2010.
– M.A. Kaafar, P. Manils. “Why Spammers should thank Google”, In Proceedings of the ACM workshop on Social Network Systems (SNS 2010), Paris, April 2010.
– S. Le Blond, A. Legout, F. Lefessant, W. Dabbous, M.A. Kaafar, “Spying the World from your Laptop− Identifying and Profiling Content Providers and Big Downloaders in BitTorrent”, USENIX Workshop on Large Scale Exploits and Emergent Threats (LEET’10), San Jose, CA, April 2010.
– P.Manils, A. Chaabane, S. Le Blond,M. A. Kaafar, C. Castelluccia, A.Legout, W.Dabbous, “Compromising Tor Anonymity Exploiting P2P Information Leakage”, Presented in ACM Hot Topics in Privacy Enhancing Technologies (HotPETS), Berlin, July 2010. ACM.
– B. Donnet, B. Gueye, M. A. Kaafar, “A survey on Network Coordinates Systems, Design and Security”, In the IEEE Communications Surveys and Tutorials, 2010.
– M.A. Kaafar, L. Mathy, K. Salamatian, C. Barakat, T. Turletti and W. Dabbous. Tracking Relative Errors in Internet Coordinate Systems by a Kalman Filter. 26 pages, in Kalman Filter, Intech Edition. Edited by Vedran Kordic, ISBN 978-953-307-094-0, Publishing date : May 2010.
– S. Leblond, P.Manils, A.Chaabane, M. A. Kaafar, A. Legout, C.Castelluccia, “De-anonymizing BitTorrent users on Tor”, Poster in the USENIX symposium on Networked Systems Design and Implementation (NSDI’10), San Jose, CA, April 2010.
– C. Castelluccia, M. A. Kaafar, P. Manils, D. Perito, “Geolocalization of Proxied Services and its Application to Fast-Flux Hidden Servers”, In Proceedings of the ACM/Usenix Internet Measurement Conference (ACM IMC 2009), Chicago, November 2009. pdf
– M. A. Kaafar, L. Mathy, C. Barakat. K. Salamatian, T. Turletti, and W. Dabbous. “Certified Internet Coordinates” In Proceedings of the 18th International Conference on Computer Communications and Networks, Track on Peer to Peer Networking, San Francisco, ICCCN, August 2009.
-C.Castelluccia, M.A. Kaafar, “Owner-Centric Networking (OCN): Toward A Data Pollution-Free Internet.”, Applications and the Internet, IEEE/IPSJ International Symposium on (SAINT 2009), FIST’09, Seattle, August, 2009.
-C.Castelluccia, M. A. Kaafar,”Owner-Centric Networking: A New Architecture for
a Pollution-Free Internet”, In ERCIM News No.77, Special Theme on Future Internet Technology, April 2009.
– A. Chaabane and M. A. Kaafar. Revisiting unstructured overlay network security. In Foundations & Practice Of Security workshop, Grenoble, June 2009.
-Y. Liao, M. A. Kaafar, B. Gueye, F. Cantin, P. Geurts and G. Leduc, ” Detecting Triangle Inequality Violations in Internet Coordinate Systems by Supervised Learning”, In Proc. of Networking 2009, May 2009, Aachen, Germany, LNCS, Springer.
– M.A. Kaafar, F. Cantin, B. Gueye and G. Leduc, “Detecting triangle inequality violations for Internet coordinate systems, In Proceedings of Future Networks, Dresden, Germany, June 2009.
– F. Cantin, B. Gueye, M.A.Kaafar and G.Leduc. “Overlay routing using coordinate systems”, In Proceedings of ACM CoNext student workshop, 9 Dec 2008, Madrid, Spain.
– B. Gueye, F. Cantin, M. A. Kaafar, G. Leduc. “A Self-Organized clustering scheme for overlay networks” in Proceedings of the International Workshop on Self-Organized Systems (IWSoS), 10-12 Dec 2008, Vienna, Austria, LNCS, Springer.
– M. A. Kaafar, B. Gueye, F. Cantin, G. Leduc, and L. Mathy. “Towards a Two-tier Internet coordinate system to mitigate the impact of triangle inequality violations” In Proceedings of IFIP-TC6 Networking, Singapore, 2008. Lectures Notes in Computer Science, May 2008.
– M.A. Kaafar, L. Mathy, C. Barakat. K. Salamatian, T. Turletti, and W. Dabbous. “Securing Internet Coordinate Embedding Systems” In Proceedings of ACM SIGCOMM 2007, Kyoto, Japan, August 2007. pdf
also in SIGCOMM Computer Communication Review CCR online.
– F. Cantin, M. A. Kaafar, B. Gueye, G. Leduc, L. Mathy. “Explication et réduction de l’impact des violations d’inégalités triangulaires dans Vivaldi”, in CFIP 2008, Les arcs, 2008.
– M. A. Kaafar, L. Mathy, C. Barakat, K. Salamatian, T. Turletti, W. Dabbous, “Securing Internet Coordinate Systems, Invited paper at AINTEC 2007, Phuket, November 2007.
– M.A. Kaafar, L. Mathy, T. Turletti, and W. Dabbous. “Virtual Networks under Attack: Disrupting Internet Coordinate Systems”, In Proceedings of the ACM/e-NEXT International Conference on Future Networking Technologies, CoNext 2006, Lisboa, Portugal, December, 2006. ACM Press. pdf
– C. Mrabet, M.A. Kaafar, F. Kamoun, “Wireless Alternative Best Effort service: A case study of ALM, In Proc. Of CoNext 2006 St. Workshop, Lisboa, December 2006.
– M.A. Kaafar, C. Mrabet, and T. Turletti. “A Topolopgy-aware overlay multicast approach for mobile ad-hoc networks”, In Proceedings of the Asian Internet Engineering Conference (AINTEC), LNCS 4311, pp. 31–47, Bangkok, Thailand, November, 2006.
– M.A. Kaafar, L. Mathy, T. Turletti, and W. Dabbous. “Real Attacks on Virtual Networks: Vivaldi out of tune”, In Proceedings of the ACM SIGCOMM workshop Large Scale Attack Defense (LSAD), Pisa, Italy, September 2006. ACM SIGCOMM, ACM Press. pdf
– M.A. Kaafar, T. Turletti, and W. Dabbous. “Un réseau de recouvrement multipoint passant à léchelle”, In Proceedings of CFIP 2006, Tozeur, Tunisia, November 2006.
– C. Mrabet, M.A. Kaafar, and F. Kamoun. “Transmission applicative multipoint pour les réseaux ad-hoc”, In Proceedings of CFIP 2006, Tozeur, Tunisia, November 2006.
– M.A. Kaafar, T. Turletti, and W. Dabbous. “A Locating-First Approach for Scalable Overlay multicast”, in Proceedings of IEEE IWQoS, New Haven,CT, USA, June 2006. pdf
Finalist for the best paper award.
– M.A. Kaafar, T. Turletti, and W. Dabbous. “A Locating-First Approach for Scalable Overlay multicast”, in Proceedings of IEEE INFOCOM st. Workshop, Barcelona, April 2006.
– M.A. Kaafar, T. Turletti, and W. Dabbous. “LCC: Scalablity in Topology-aware Overlays”, Tech. Report RT-0314, Sophia Antipolis, November 2005.
– M.A. Kaafar, T. Turletti, and W. Dabbous. “Locate, Cluster and Conquer: A Scalable Topology-aware Overlay Multicast”, In proceedings of the WG3 PhD workshop, Sophia Antipolis, September 2005.
– M.A.Kaafar, L. Benazzouz and F.Kamoun. “Test beds and experiments of a Kerberos-based authentication architecture for Wi-Fi networks”. In proceedings of the IFIP-TC6 conference “Netcon 2004″, palma de Mallorca, November 2004.
– M.A. Kaafar, L. Benazzouz, D. Males and F. Kamoun. “A Kerberos-based Authentication Architecture for Wireless LANs”, In proceedings of the third IFIP-TC6 international conference on networking (Networking 2004), Athens, May 2004.
– P. Manils, A. Chaabane, S. Leblond, M. A. Kaafar, A. Legout, C. Castelluccia, and W. Dabbous. Compromizing tor anonymity exploiting p2p information leakage. Technical report,
– M. A. Kaafar, L. Mathy, C. Barakat, K. Salamatian, T. Turletti, W. Dabbous, Securing the distance Estimation phase of Internet Coordinate systems, Technical Report INRIA,http://hal.inria.fr/inria-00197605/en/
– M. A. Kaafar, L. Mathy, C. Barakat, K. Salamatian, T. Turletti, W. Dabbous, Securing Internet Coordinate System : Embedding Phase, Technical Report INRIA,http://hal.inria.fr/inria-00151257/fr/
– M. A. Kaafar, L. Mathy, T. Tureltti, W. Dabbous, Virtual Networks under Attack : Disrupting Internet Coordinate Systems, Technical Report INRIA,http://hal.inria.fr/inria-00085296/fr/
– M. A. Kaafar, T. Tureltti, W. Dabbous, Locate, Cluster and Conquer : A Scalable Topologyaware Overlay Multicast, Technical Report INRIA, http://hal.inria.fr/inria-00069866/fr/