Insert Photo Here
Dr. Guillaume Jourjon
Senior Research Scientist
CyberPhysical Systems Research Program
phone: +61 2 9490 5611
- Paper accepted in WWW 2019!
- Paper accepted in IEEE NCA 2018.
- Paper accepted in IEEE SRDS 2018!
- Paper accepted in IFIP Networking with Mohammad and Aruna.
- Paper accepted in ACM ASPLOS 2018! Congratulations to Stephen and Vincent.
- Paper accepted in IEEE ITNAC with Mohammad and Aruna.
- Paper accepted in IEEE LCN 2017, well done Parinya and Vincent.
- Paper accepted in ACM Transactions on Privacy and Security.
- Paper accepted in IEEE Communications Magazine, well done Tanvir, Vincent!
- Paper accepted in IEEE WoWMoM 2017 with Benoy, Kanchana and Aruna.
- Paper accepted in IEEE Transactions on Network and Service Management, well done Tanvir, Weisheng and Vincent!
- Our performance evaluation of SDN controllers got some attention in the media :). http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/08/22/sdn_controller_design_sucks_claim_network_boffins/
- Papers Accepted in IEEE LCN 2016:
- D. Banfi, O. Mehani, G. Jourjon, L. Schwaighofer, and R. Holz, “Endpoint-transparent Multipath Transport with Software-defined Networks”
- S. Mallon, V. Gramoli, and G. Jourjon, “Are Today’s SDN Controller Ready for Primetime”
Todays most applications rely on pervasive service residing in various location of the networks. This raises several conflicting requirements including security, privacy concern and overall performance. Making sure that these applications maintain an acceptable Service Level Agreement while providing these requirement is generally regarded as an open problem for distributing computing. During my career I have tackled this problem by not only developing new distributed algorithms but also by incorporating new functions inside the network in order to better support these applications.
During my career, I have pursued this research excellence through rigorous experimentation, measurements, and implementation of distributed computing systems capable of operating at large scale over a realistic network. This vision led me to focus upon developing large-scale networked systems that avoid the common fallacies of distributed systems through a wide networking knowledge. In particular, I leveraged my network knowledge to not only offer basic support, such as reliable communication, but enhanced services such as a secured and private channel to distributed computing applications. Doing so I have developed several state-of-the-art tools and frameworks that are illustrated by the following three examples.
Distributing Network Functions (2014 – present)
In recent years, I have led the Network Group initiative in leveraging the paradigm shift that constitutes Software Defined Networking and Network Function Virtualisation. This group initiative has been accomplished on two separate directions. In the first one, I focused on enhancing application support through a more intelligent and agile network. In the second one, I have also applied theoretical results from distributed systems, such as the two-phase commit algorithm, and optimisation techniques to also enhance the management of Software Defined Network.
In the first direction, where we used SDN in order to improve application services, I have proposed numerous enhanced networking services, such as secu- rity and privacy preserving techniques, that could not be deployed in nowadays networks due to the legacy lack of network support. These services include:
- Private and secured network function deployment capable of reaching line rate throughput,
- Dynamic IP overlay network deployment to inter-connect cloud services at low cost,
- Multipath support for TCP connections without end-host modification,
- Natural disaster resilience via adaptive network configuration
In addition to the above, I have applied distributed computing concepts in order to enhance how Software Defined Networks are operated. In particular, I have proposed and published in the IEEE Communication Magazine (impact factor of 10.435) the first ever distributed algorithm able to garbage-collect forwarding rules in the presence of an asynchronous network, (e.g. when no delay upper bound can be established).
Rethinking Network-bound Applications (2016 – present)
Networking applications currently use the Berkeley socket model to interface with a networking stack that resides in the operating system kernel. This model requires costly context switching between applications and the kernel, as well as memory copies on both the sending and receiving path. This model imposes a limitation on performance which becomes even more apparent with the doubling of bandwidth of network bandwidth every 17-18 months, compared with CPU and DRAM performance doubling only every 26-27 months. For example, The Memcached application spends over 80% of CPU time in the kernel networking stack, using less than 5% of the available networking bandwidth.
This research aims to evaluate the impact of using kernel bypass technologies, to accelerate network bound applications. Some research questions include:
- The design of an efficient zero copy interface to replace the Berkeley socket model.
- The performance impact of dedicated networking and application cores, versus a run to completion model.
- Process isolation in a secure environment.
Cyber-Fraud Detection (2014 – present)
Facebook and other Online Social Networks have become one of primary outlet for advertisements. How can we detect and prevent frauds on these systems and ensure that businesses are getting bang for their buck? In this project we aim to provide new forms of cyber-defence. This will lead us to offer:
- Fraud detection and cyber-crime prevention in Online Social Networks
- Defence against cyber underground markets activity
- Fake account/activity characterization
- Information Officer of the IEEE STC on Sustainable Computing.
- Students Grants Chair and TPC member of IEEE LCN 13, The 38th IEEE Conference on Local Computer Networks (LCN)
- Publicity co-chair and TPC member of IEEE MASCOTS 13, the 21st IEEE International Symposium om Modeling, Analysis and Simulation of Computer and Telecommunication Systems
- TPC member of GreenMetric 13, in conjunction with ACM Sigmetrics 2013 at Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
- TPC member of ACM MSWIM 13, The 16th ACM International Conference on Modeling, Analysis and Simulation of Wireless and Mobile Systems.
- Member of program committee of PCO 13, the third Parallel Computing and Optimization workshop of IPDPS 2013, May 2013, Boston.
- TPC member of GreenMetric 12, in in conjunction with ACM Sigmetrics/Performance 2012.
- TPC member of IEEE CSE 12, the 15th IEEE International Conference on Computational Science and Engineering.
- TPC member of ACM MSWIM 12, the 15th ACM International Conference on Modeling, Analysis and Simulation of Wireless and Mobile Systems.
- Member of program committee of PCO 12, the second Parallel Computing and Optimization workshop of IPDPS 2012, May 2012, Shanghai.
- Member of program committee of PCO 11, the Parallel Computing and Optimization workshop of IPDPS 2011, May 2011, Anchorage.
- PC Chair of CloudS 10, the first International Workshop on Content Delivery and Services for Mobile and Fixed Users. Nov. 4-5 2010, Sydney.
- Alexander Mikroyannidis, Diarmuid Collins, Christos Tranoris, Spyros Denazis, DaanPareit, JonoVanhie-Van Gerwen, Ingrid Moerman, Guillaume Jourjon, Olivier Fourmaux, John Domingue and Johann M. Marquez-Barja, FORGE: An eLearning Framework for Remote Laboratory Experimentation on FIRE Testbed Infrastructure, in Building the Future Internet through FIRE, River Publisher, eds. Martin Serrano, Nikolaos Isaris, Hans Schaffers, John Domingue, Michael Boniface, and Thanasis Korakis
- Thierry Rakotoarivelo, Guillaume Jourjon, Olivier Mehani, Max Ott, Michael Zink, A Walk Through the GENI Experiment Cycle, in The GENI Book, Springer, Eds. McGeer, R., Berman, M., Elliott, C., Ricci, R.
- Nicolas Van Wambeke, Ernesto Exposito, Guillaume Jourjon, and Emmanuel Lochin, Enhanced Transport Protocol, in End-to-End Quality of Service Over Heterogeneous Networks, Springer, Eds Torsten Braun, Michel Diaz, Jose Enriquez-Gabeiras, and Thomas Stau, 2008. pdf
- Yining Hu, Ahsan Manzoor, Parinya Ekparinya, Madhusanak Liyanage, Kanchana Thilakarathna, Guillaume Jourjon, and Aruna Seneviratne, A Delay-Tolerant Payment Scheme Based on the Ethereum Blockchain, IEEE Access, 2019.
- Muhammad Ikram, Lucky Onwuzurike, Shehroze Farooqi, Emiliano De Cristofaro, Arik Friedman, Guillaume Jourjon, Mohammed Ali Kaafar, and M. Zubair Shafiq, Measuring, Characterizing, and Detecting Facebook Like Farms, ACM Transactions on Privacy and Security, Volume 20, Issue 4, September 2017, pp. 13:1–13:28
- MTI ul Huque, G. Jourjon, V. Gramoli, Garbage Collection of Forwarding Rules in Software Defined Networks, IEEE Communications Magazine, June 2017
- MTI ul Huque, W. Si, G. Jourjon, V. Gramoli, Large-Scale Dynamic Controller Placement. IEEE Transactions on Network and Service Management, Volume 14, Issue 1, March 2017
- Guillaume Jourjon, Johann M Marquez-Barja, Thierry Rakotoarivelo, Alexander Mikroyannidis, Kostas Lampropoulos, Spyros Denazis, Christos Tranoris, Daan Pareit, John Domingue, Luiz A DaSilva, Max Ott, FORGE Toolkit: Leveraging Distributed Systems in eLearning Platforms, IEEE Transactions on Emerging Topics in Computing, Vol. 5 (1), pp: 7 – 19, Jan. 2017.
- Olivier Mehani, Guillaume Jourjon, Thierry Rakotoarivelo and Max Ott. An Instrumentation Framework for the Critical Task of Measurement Collection in the Future Internet, Elsevier Computer Networks, Special issue on Future Internet Testbeds, pp. 68-83, April, 2014. pdf
- Thierry Rakotoarivelo, Guillaume Jourjon and Max Ott. Designing and Orchestrating Reproducible Experiments on Federated Networking Testbeds, Elsevier Computer Networks, Special issue on Future Internet Testbeds, pp. 173-187, April, 2014. pdf
- Emmanuel Lochin, Guillaume Jourjon, Sebastien Ardon and Patrick Senac. Promoting the Use of Reliable Rate Based Transport Protocols: The Chameleon Protocol, International Journal of Internet Protocol Technology, Vol. 5, No. 4, pp.175-189. pdf
- Thierry Rakotoarivelo, Max Ott, Guillaume Jourjon, and Ivan Seskar. OMF: A control and management framework for networking nestbeds. SIGOPS Operating Systems Review, 43(4):54–59, January 2010. pdf
- Guillaume Jourjon, Emmanuel Lochin and Patrick Senac, Towards sender-based TFRC, Journal of Internet Engineering pp: 193-201, Vol 3, No 1 (2009). pdf
- Guillaume Jourjon, Emmanuel Lochin and Patrick Senac, Design, Implementation and Evaluation of a QoS-aware Transport Protocol, Elsevier Computer Communications, volume 31, issue 9, pp 1713-1722. pdf
- Laurent Dairaine, Guillaume Jourjon, Emmanuel Lochin and Sebastien Ardon, IREEL: Remote Experimentation with Real Protocols and Applications over Emulated Network, Inroads, the SIGCSE Bulletin, Volume 39, Issue 2, June 2007, pp 92-96. pdf
- Guillaume Jourjon, Emmanuel Lochin and Laurent Dairaine. Optimization of Loss History Initialization, IEEE Communications Letters, Volume 11, Number 3, March 2007, pp 276-278. pdf
- Emmanuel Lochin, Laurent Dairaine, Guillaume Jourjon. gTFRC, a TCP Friendly QoS-aware Rate Control for Diffserv Assured Service, Springer Telecommunication Systems Journal, 10.1007/s11235-006-9004-2, ISSN : 1018-4864 (Print) 1572-9451 (Online), Volume 33, Numbers 1-3 / December, 2006, pp 3-21. pdf
- Jathushan Rajasegaran, Naveen Karunanayake, Ashanie Gunathillake, Suranga Seneviratne, and Guillaume Jourjon, A Multi-modal Neural Embeddings Approach for Detecting Mobile Counterfeit Apps, Proceedings of the 2019 World Wide Web Conference (WWW ’19), May 13– 17, 2019, San Francisco, CA, USA. ACM, New York, NY, USA, 7 pages
- Thanh Son Lam Nguyen, Guillaume Jourjon, Maria Potop-Butucaru, and Kim Loan Thai, Impact of network delays on Hyperledger Fabric, Proceedings of CryBlock 2019, 2nd Workshop on Cryptocurrencies and Blockchains for Distributed Systems, co-located with INFOCOM 2019
- Li Ying, Yi Huang, Suranga Seneviratne, Kanchana Thilakarathna, Adriel Cheng, Guillaume Jourjon, Darren Webb and Richard Xu, DeepContent: Unveiling Video Streaming Content from Encrypted WiFi Traffic, IEEE NCA 2018
- Parinya Ekparinya, Vincent Gramoli, and Guillaume Jourjon, Impact of Man-in-the-Middle Attacks on Ethereum, IEEE SRDS 2018
- Mohammad Javad Shamani, Guillaume Jourjon, and Aruna Seneviratne, Multipath TCP Storage Covert Channel, IFIP Networking 2018
- Stephen Mallon, Vincent Gramoli, and Guillaume Jourjon, DLibOS: Performance and Protection with Network-on-Chip, 23rd ACM International Conference on Architectural Support for Programming Languages and Operating Systems, ASPLOS 2018.
- Mohammad Javad Shamani, Saeid Rezaei, Guillaume Jourjon, and Aruna Seneviratne, MPTCP Energy Enhancement Paradox: A Q-Learning Approach, International Telecommunication Networks and Applications Conference (ITNAC 2017)
- Parinya Ekparinya, Vincent Gramoli, Guillaume Jourjon, and Liming Zhu, Statosphere: Dynamic IP Overlay Above the Cloud, IEEE Local Computer Networks (LCN), 2017
- Benoy Varghese, Guillaume Jourjon, Kanchana Thilakarathne, and Aruna Seneviratne, e-DASH: Modelling An Energy-Aware DASH Player, in Proceedings of IEEE WoWMoM 2017, June 2017.
- S. Farooqi, M. Ikram, E. De Cristofaro, A. Friedman, G. Jourjon, M. A. Kaafar, Z. Shafiq, F. Zaffar, Characterizing Key Stakeholders in an Online Black-Hat Marketplace, eCrime 2017, April 2017
- D. Banfi, O. Mehani, G. Jourjon, L. Schwaighofer, and R. Holz, Endpoint-transparent Multipath Transport with Software-defined Networks, IEEE Local Computer Networks (LCN), 2016
- Stephen Mallon, Vincent Gramoli, Guillaume Jourjon, Are Today’s SDN Controller Ready for Primetime, IEEE Local Computer Networks (LCN), 2016
- Olivier Fourmaux, Mohammed Yasin Rahman, Christos Tranoris, Daan Pareit, Jono Vanhie-Van Gerwen, Guillaume Jourjon, Diarmuid Collins, Johann Marquez Barja, FORGE Enabling FIRE Facilities for the e-Learning Community, 19th Internation Conference on Interactive Collabortive Learning
- Alexander Mikroyannidis, John Domingue, Daan Pareit, Jono Vanhie-Van Gerwen, Christos Tranoris, Guillaume Jourjon, Johann M Marquez-Barja, Applying a methodology for the design, delivery and evaluation of learning resources for remote experimentation, 2016 IEEE Global Engineering Education Conference (EDUCON)
- MTI ul Huque, Guillaume Jourjon, Vincent Gramoli, Revisiting the controller placement problem, Local Computer Networks (LCN), 2015 IEEE 40th Conference on, pp. 450-453
- Vincent Gramoli, Guillaume Jourjon, Olivier Mehani, Disaster-Tolerant Storage with SDN, the International Conference on NETworked sYStem, NETYS 2015, Agadir, Morocco, May 13-15, 2015.
- Emiliano De Cristofaro, Arik Friedman, Guillaume Jourjon, Dali Kaafar, Zubair M. Shafiq, Paying for Likes? Understanding Facebook Like Fraud Using Honeypots. ACM SIGCOMM Internet Measurement Conference (ACM IMC), Vancouver, BC, Canada, November, 2014. pdf
- Benoy Varghese, Niklas Carlsson, Guillaume Jourjon, Anirban Mahanti, Prashant Shenoy, Greening Web Servers: A Case for Ultra Low-power Web Servers. International Green Computing Conference, IGCC 2014, USA. pdf
- Johann M. Marquez-Barja, Guillaume Jourjon, Alexander Mikroyannidis, Christos Tranoris, John Domingue, Luiz DaSilva, FORGE: Enhancing elearning and research in ICT through remote experimentation. EDUCON2014, IEEE Global Engineering Education Conference, Istanbul, pp. N/A, April, 2014. pdf
- Didier El Baz, The Tung Nguyen, Guillaume Jourjon, Thierry Rakotoarivelo, HPC Applications Deployment on Distributed Heterogeneous Computing Platforms via OMF, OML and P2PDC, PDP 2014, the 22nd Euromicro International Conference on Parallel, distributed and network-based Computing., Turin, pp. N/A, February, 2014. pdf
- Guillaume Jourjon, Olivier Mehani, Thierry Rakotoarivelo, Insights of File-Sharing System Forums, WNM 2013, 7th IEEE Workshop on Network Measurements (co-located with LCN 2013), Sydney, Australia, October, 2013. pdf
- Yan Shvartzshnaider, Maximilian Ott, Olivier Mehani, Guillaume Jourjon, Thierry Rakotoarivelo and David Levy, “Into the Moana” Hypergraph-based Network Layer Indirection, The 16th IEEE International Global Internet Symposium (GI 2013), April 2013, Turin, Italy. pdf
- Guillaume Jourjon, Thierry Rakotoarivelo and Max Ott, Why Simulate When You Can Experience?, ACM SIGCOMM Education Workshop 2011, August 2011, Toronto. pdf
- Guillaume Jourjon, Salil Kanhere and Jun Yao, Impact of an e-learning Platform on CSE Lectures, ACM ITiCSE 2011, the 16th Annual Conference on Innovation and Technology in Computer Science Education, June 2011, Darmstadt, Germany. pdf
- Guillaume Jourjon, Thierry Rakotoarivelo, Christoph Dwertmann and Max Ott, LabWiki: An Executable Paper Platform for Experiment-based Research, The Executable Paper Grand Challenge, ICCCS meeting 2011, June 2011, Tsukuba, Japan. pdf
- Guillaume Jourjon, Thierry Rakotoarivelo and Max Ott, A Portal to Support Rigorous Experimental Methodology in Networking Research, TridentCom 2011, May 2011, Shanghai. Best Paper Award of TridentCom 2011. pdf
- Guillaume Jourjon, Thierry Rakotoarivelo, and Max Ott, From Learning to Researching, Ease the Shift through Testbeds, TridentCom 2010, May 2010, Berlin. pdf
- Jolyon White, Guillaume Jourjon, Thierry Rakatoarivelo and Maximilian Ott, Measurement Architectures for Network Experiments with Disconnected Mobile Nodes, TridentCom 2010, May 2010, Berlin. pdf.
- The Tung Nguyen, Didier El Baz, Pierre Spiteri, Guillaume Jourjon, Ming Chau, High Performance Peer-to-Peer Distributed Computing with Application to Obstacle Problem, HotP2P 2010 in conjunction with IPDPS 2010, April 2010, Atlanta. pdf
- Guillaume Jourjon, Thierry Rakotoarivelo and Max Ott, Models for an Energy-Efficient P2P Delivery Service, PDP 2010 – The 18th Euromicro International Conference on Parallel, Distributed and Network-Based Computing, Pisa – Italy, February, 2010. pdf
- Thierry Rakotoarivelo, Max Ott, Guillaume Jourjon and Ivan Seskar, OMF: a Control and Management Framework for Networking Testbeds, SOSP Workshop on Real Overlays and Distributed Systems (ROADS ’09), Big Sky, USA, pp. 6, October, 2009. pdf
- Emmanuel Lochin, Guillaume Jourjon and Sebastien Sardon, Design and Validation of a Reliable Rate Based Transport Protocol: The Chameleon Protocol, Global Information Infrastructure Symposium (IEEE GIIS 2009), June 2009, Tunisia. pdf
- Golam Sarwar, Roksana Boreli, Emmanuel Lochin and Guillaume Jourjon, Improvements in DCCP congestion control for satellite links, 2008 International Workshop on Satellite and Space Communications (IWSSC 2008), Toulouse/France, October, 2008. pdf
- Guillaume Jourjon, Emmanuel Lochin and Patrick Senac, Towards sender-based TFRC, Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Communications 2007 (IEEE ICC 2007), Glasgow, UK, 24-27 June 2007, Page(s): 1588-1593. Best paper award of the Multimedia Communications & Home Services Symposium of ICC 2007. pdf
- Emmanuel Lochin, Guillaume Jourjon and Laurent Dairaine, Study and enhancement of DCCP over DiffServ Assured Forwarding class, In Proceedings of the Fourth European Conference on Universal Multiservice Networks (ECUMN’07), pp. 250-262. pdf
- Guillaume Jourjon, Emmanuel Lochin, Laurent Dairaine, Patrick Senac, Tim Moors and Aruna Seneviratne, Implementation and performance analysis of a QoS-aware TFRC mechanism, 14th IEEE ICON 2006 (International Conference on Networking).
- Emmanuel Lochin, Laurent Dairaine and Guillaume Jourjon, gTFRC: a QoS-aware congestion control algorithm, Proc. of the 5th International Conference of Networking.
- Guillaume Jourjon and Didier El Baz, Some Solutions for Peer-to-Peer Global Computing, in Proceeding of the PDP ’05: Proceedings of the 13th Euromicro Conference on Parallel, Distributed and Network-Based Processing (PDP’05), pp 49-58.
Posters & Demonstrations
- Ahsan Manzoor, Yining Hu, Madhusanka Liyanage, Parinya Ekparinya, Kanchana Thilakarathna, Guillaume Jourjon, Aruna Seneviratne, Salil Kanhere and Mika E Ylianttila, A Delay-Tolerant Payment Scheme on the Ethereum Blockchain, Proc. of WoWMoM 2018, demo session
- D. Banfi, O. Mehani, G. Jourjon, L. Schwaighofer, and R. Holz, Endpoint-transparent Multipath Transport with Software-defined Networks, IEEE Local Computer Networks (LCN), 2016
- Olivier Mehani, Roksana Boreli, Guillaume Jourjon and Thierry Ernst, Mobile Multimedia Streaming Improvements with Freeze-DCCP, Mobicom 2010 – Demo Session, September 2010, Chicago. pdf
- Christoph Dwertmann, Mesut Ergin, Guillaume Jourjon, Max Ott, Thierry Rakotoarivelo and Ivan Seskar, Mobile Experiments Made Easy with OMF/Orbit, SIGCOMM 2009 Demo Session. pdf
- Guillaume Jourjon and Emmanuel Lochin and Patrick Senac, Towards a Versatile Transport Protocol, CONext 2006 in cooperation with ACM Sigcomm (poster).
- Laurent Dairaine, Guillaume Jourjon, Ernesto Exposito, IREEL: Remote Experimentation with Real Protocols and Applications over Emulated Network, ACM ITiCSE (poster).
- Guillaume Jourjon, Ernesto Exposito and Laurent Dairaine, Modeling, Simulation, and Emulation of QoS Oriented Transport Mechanisms, CONext 2005 in cooperation with ACM Sigcomm (poster).
- Guillaume Jourjon, Towards a Versatile Transport Protocol. Thesis of the University of new South Wales and the University of Toulouse, January 2008. pdf