We continuously publish our work in peer-reviewed journals. Our research features in high impact journals including Nature, The Lancet, Nature Climate Change, Nature Sustainability, PNAS and Global Change Biology. Here are links to some recent key publications:
- Waha et al. (2020) Multiple cropping systems of the world and the potential for increasing cropping intensity. Global Environmental Change 64, 102131.
- Béné et al. (2020) Five priorities to operationalize the EAT-Lancet Commission Report. Nature Food 1, 457–459.
- van Zeist et al. (2020) Are scenario projections overly optimistic about future yield progress? Global Environmental Change 64, 102120.
- Herrero et al. (2020) Innovation can accelerate the transition towards a sustainable food system. Nature Food 1, 266–272.
- Herrero and Thornton (2020) What can COVID-19 teach us about responding to climate change? The Lancet Planetary Health 5, E174.
- Kinyoki et al. (2020) Mapping local patterns of childhood overweight and wasting in low- and middle-income countries between 2000 and 2017. Nature Medicine. DOI:10.1038/s41591-020-0807-6.
- Mason-D’Croz et al. (2020) Modelling the Global Consequences of a Major African Swine Fever Outbreak in China’s Pig Population. Nature Food 1, 221–228.
- Mehrabi et al. (2020) Livestock policy for sustainable development. Nature Food 1, 160–165.
- Rosenzweig et al. (2020) Climate change responses benefit from a global food system approach. Nature Food 1, 94–97.
- Di Marco et al. (2020) Sustainable development must account for pandemic risk. PNAS. Opinion article. DOI: 10.1073/pnas.2001655117.
- Local Burden of Disease Child Growth Failure Collaborators (2020) Mapping child growth failure across low- and middle- income countries. Nature 577, 231–234.
Our publications can be found on the CSIRO Research Publications Repository. Find our publications by searching for any of our team members as authors. No login is required. Here are links to recent publications by research area:
Solutions for Global Change
- Fanzo et al. (2020) A research vision for food systems in the 2020s: Defying the status quo. Global Food Security 26, 100397.
- Frija et al. (2020) Agricultural growth and employment in Africa: Future perspectives under different research and development investment scenarios. Global Food Security 24, 100353.
- Wollenberg, Herrero, Hillier (eds) (2019) The Feasibility of Large-Scale Action for Adaptation and Mitigation. Frontiers in Sustainable Food Systems. Special Issue Research Topic.
Nutrition and Health
- Medina Hidalgo et al. (2020) Sustaining healthy diets in times of change: linking climate hazards, food systems and nutrition security in rural communities of the Fiji Islands. Regional Environmental Change 20, 73.
- Mason-D’Croz et al. (2019) Gaps between fruit and vegetable production, demand, and recommended consumption at global and national levels: an integrated modelling study. The Lancet Planetary Health 3(7), e318-e329.
- Beach et al. (2019) Combining the effects of increased atmospheric carbon dioxide on protein, iron, and zinc availability and projected climate change on global diets: a modelling study. The Lancet Planetary Health 3(7) e307-e317.
Sustainable Livestock Systems
- Godde et al. (2020) Global rangeland production systems and livelihoods at threat under climate change and variability. Environmental Research Letters.
- Godde et al. (2020) Carbon sequestration in grazing systems: managing expectations. Climatic Change 1-7.
- McDonald et al. (2019) The Integrated Analysis Tool (IAT) – A model for the evaluation of crop-livestock and socio-economic interventions in smallholder farming systems. Agricultural Systems 176, 102659.
Farming, Livelihoods and the Environment
- Cacho et al. (2020) The value of seeds for climate change adaptation of smallholders in Sub-Saharan Africa. Climatic Change.
- Dutta et al. (2020) Improved water management practices improve cropping system profitability and smallholder farmers’ incomes. Agricultural Water Management 242, 106411.
- McDonald et al. (2019) Enhancing the impact and sustainability of development strategies with smallholder farmers: participatory engagement, whole farm modelling and farmer-led on-farm research. International Journal of Agricultural Sustainability, 17(6), 445-457.
Agri-Food System Innovation
- Hall and Dorai (2020) Agricultural research, technology and innovation in Africa: Issues and options. International Journal of Technology Management & Sustainable Development 19(1), 3-22.
- Banerjee et al. (2019) Emerging research practice for impact in the CGIAR: The case of Index-Based Livestock Insurance (IBLI). Outlook on Agriculture, 1-13.
- Hall and Dijkman (2019) Public Agricultural Research in an Era of Transformation: The Challenge of Agri-Food System Innovation. Rome and Canberra: CGIAR Independent Science and Partnership Council (ISPC) Secretariat and Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO), IX-67.