We continuously publish our work in peer-reviewed journals. Our research features in high impact journals including Nature, The Lancet, Nature Climate Change, Nature Sustainability, PNAS and Global Change Biology. Here are links to some recent key publications:
- Chang et al. (2021). Climate warming from managed grasslands cancels the cooling effect of carbon sinks in sparsely grazed and natural grasslands. Nature Communications.
- Barrett et al. (2020) Comment: Bundling innovations to transform agri-food systems. Nature Sustainability 3, 974–976.
- Herrero et al.(2020) Articulating the impact of food systems innovation on the Sustainable Development Goals. The Lancet Planetary Health.
- Damerau et al. (2020) India’s natural resource capacities for providing healthy, sustainable diets. Nature Food 1, 631–639.
- Ricciardi et al. (2020) A scoping review of research funding for small-scale farmers in water scarce regions. Nature Sustainability.
- Leclère et al. (2020) Bending the curve of terrestrial biodiversity needs an integrated strategy. Nature 585, 551–556.
- Waha et al. (2020) Multiple cropping systems of the world and the potential for increasing cropping intensity. Global Environmental Change 64, 102131.
- Béné et al. (2020) Five priorities to operationalize the EAT-Lancet Commission Report. Nature Food 1, 457–459.
- van Zeist et al. (2020) Are scenario projections overly optimistic about future yield progress? Global Environmental Change 64, 102120.
- Herrero et al. (2020) Innovation can accelerate the transition towards a sustainable food system. Nature Food 1, 266–272.
Our publications can be found on the CSIRO Research Publications Repository. Find our publications by searching for any of our team members as authors. No login is required. Here are links to recent publications by research area:
Solutions for Global Change
- Branca et al. (2021) Assessing the economic and mitigation benefits of climate-smart agriculture and its implications for political economy: A case study in Southern Africa. Journal of Cleaner Production 285, 125161.
- Herrero and Thornton (2020) What can COVID-19 teach us about responding to climate change? The Lancet Planetary Health 5, E174.
- Loboguerrero et al. (2020) Perspective article: Actions to reconfigure food systems. Global Food Security 26, 100432.
Nutrition and Health
- Clark et al. (2020) The Role of Healthy Diets in Environmentally Sustainable Food Systems. Food and Nutrition Bulletin 41(2S), S31-S58.
- Medina Hidalgo et al. (2020) Sustaining healthy diets in times of change: linking climate hazards, food systems and nutrition security in rural communities of the Fiji Islands. Regional Environmental Change 20, 73.
- Kinyoki et al. (2020) Mapping local patterns of childhood overweight and wasting in low- and middle-income countries between 2000 and 2017. Nature Medicine. DOI:10.1038/s41591-020-0807-6.
Sustainable Livestock Systems
- Godde et al. (2021) Impacts of climate change on the livestock food supply chain; a review of the evidence. Global Food Security, 28, 100488.
- Mayberry et al. (2021) Herbaceous legumes provide several options for increasing beef cattle productivity in eastern Indonesia. Animal Production Science.
- Mayberry et al. (2020) New skills, networks and challenges: the changing face of animal production science in Australia. Animal Production Science.
Farming, Livelihoods and the Environment
- Gathala et al. (2021) Improving smallholder farmers’ gross margins and labor-use efficiency across a range of cropping systems in the Eastern Gangetic Plains. World Development 138, 105266.
- Notenbaert et al. (2020) Towards environmentally sound intensification pathways for dairy development in the Tanga region of Tanzania. Regional Environmental Change. 20, 138.
- Robins et al. (2020) COVID-19 and food systems in the Indo-Pacific: An assessment of vulnerabilities, impacts and opportunities for action. ACIAR Technical Report 96.
Agri-Food System Innovation
- Williams et al. (2020): Unmasking partnerships for agricultural innovation: the realities of a research–private sector partnership in Lombok, Indonesia, Innovation and Development, DOI: 10.1080/2157930X.2020.1857949.
- Mausch et al. (2020) Colliding paradigms and trade-offs: Agri-food systems and value chain interventions. Global Food Security 26, 100439.
- Hall and Dorai (2020) Agricultural research, technology and innovation in Africa: Issues and options. International Journal of Technology Management & Sustainable Development 19(1), 3-22.