Download the English version of the new report, Edible insects: A roadmap for the strategic growth of an emerging Australian industry
Download the Spanish version of the new report, Edible insects: A roadmap for the strategic growth of an emerging Australian industry.
CSIRO Insectos Comestibles: Estrategias para el crecimiento de una industria australiana emergente.
The information presented in this report, was collected during a Symposium held in CSIRO in Brisbane, Australia (August 2019). The symposium ran over three days. With a combination of presentations and group discussions we explored challenges and opportunities for the Australian edible insect industry in four areas:
- Health and diet
- Future actions
We invited representatives from different sectors, including First Nations Peoples, insect businesses (farmers, product developers and consultants), researchers from Australia and abroad, policy makers, and members of the general public who are considering engaging with the emerging industry. With the information generated in the symposium, we produced a roadmap report that identifies the challenges and opportunities for the Australian edible insect industry in the four areas listed above.
Australia is well positioned to be a player in the edible insect market worldwide. This is because here in Australia, we have a long tradition of agricultural innovation. Our diversity of insects is rich high quality research and serious industry experience to take advantage of developing opportunities.
However, in order to advance the Australian industry, we must:
- forge new collaborative partnerships among First Nations Peoples, researchers, industry, and government
- co-develop First Nations Peoples owned and led initiatives
- improve Western perceptions of insect consumption
- create new Australian-branded products that promote traditional usage and market acceptance.
- Identify and incorporate native insect species to encourage an ecologically sustainable industry
- produce new edible insect foods that are delicious, nutritious, and easy to access to help improve the Australian diet.
Increasing investment, ongoing collaborations, as well as research and development are key for Australia to become an international player in producing Australian-branded edible insect products, that are nutritious, delicious, sustainable, and ethical sourced. This can contribute to meeting the global challenge of achieving food security.
This project was funded by CSIRO and the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) through the Council on Australia Latin America Relations (COALAR).