Rhonda Foley, Lars Kamphuis, Gagan Garg, Karen Frick, Karam Singh
Narrow-leafed lupin (NLL) is a grain legume crop that has recently gained attention as a human health food, in addition to its existing use as an animal food source. The grain is high in protein and fibre, and low in fat and starch. It’s a useful emerging food for people with dietary restrictions, as it is low GI and gluten free. Lupin grain also influences satiety, and lowers blood pressure and cholesterol levels. It’s also useful in farming systems as a break crop and soil improver. Lupin is a very recently domesticated crop with a narrow genetic base, so there is a lot of opportunity to improve the quality and quantity of the grain.
Our lab has been involved in the following aspects of lupin research:
- Genomic and transcriptomic analyses of lupin
- Development of molecular markers
- Seed storage protein analysis
- The role of seed storage proteins in plant defense and human health
- Alkaloid biosynthesis and transport
We’ve developed a variety of resources for lupins that can be found at Lupin Express.
- Candy Taylor, Lars G Kamphuis, Weilu Zhang, Gagan Garg, Philipp Bayer, Jens D Berger, David Edwards, Karam B Singh, Wallace A Cowling & Matthew N Nelson. INDEL variation in the regulatory region of the major flowering time gene LanFTc1 is associated with vernalisation response and flowering time in narrow-leafed lupin (Lupinus angustifolius). Plant Cell and Environment, 2018. doi: 10.1111/pce.13320.
- Karen M Frick, Rhonda C Foley, Lars G Kamphuis, Kadambot HM Siddique, Gagan Garg & Karam B Singh. Characterisation of the genetic factors affecting quinolizidine alkaloid biosynthesis and its response to abiotic stress in narrow-leafed lupin (Lupinus angustifolius). Plant Cell and Environment, 2018. doi: 10.1111/pce.13172.
- Mahsa Mousavi-Derazmahalleh, Philipp E Bayer, Bruno Nevado, Bhavna Hurgobin, Dimitry Filatov, Andreijz Kilian, Lars G Kamphuis, Karam B Singh, Jens D Berger, James K Hane, David Edwards, William Erskine & Matthew N Nelson. Exploring the genetic and adaptive diversity of a pan-Mediterranean crop wild relative: narrow-leafed lupin. Theoretical and Applied Genetics, 2018, 131, 887-901. doi:0.1007/s00122-017-3045-7.
- Lima-Cabello, E., S. Morales-Santana, R. C. Foley, S. Melser, V. Alche, K. H. M. Siddique, K. B. Singh, J. D. Alche and J. C. Jimenez-Lopez. Ex vivo and in vitro assessment of anti-inflammatory activity of seed beta-conglutin proteins from Lupinus angustifolius. Journal of Functional Foods, 2018, 40: 510.
- Jimenez-Lopez, J. C., R. C. Foley, E. Brear, V. C. Clarke, E. Lima-Cabello, J. F. Florido, K. B. Singh, J. D. Alche and P. M. C. Smith. Characterization of narrow-leaf lupin (Lupinus angustifolius L.) recombinant major allergen IgE-binding proteins and the natural beta-conglutin counterparts in sweet lupin seed species. Food Chemistry, 2018, 244: 6.
- Hane, J.K., Y. Ming, L.G. Kamphuis, M.N. Nelson, G. Garg, C.A. Atkins, P.E. Bayer, A. Bravo, S. Bringans, S. Cannon, D. Edwards, R. Foley, L.L. Gao, M.J. Harrison, W. Huang, B. Hurgobin, S. Li, C.W. Liu, A. McGrath, G. Morahan, J. Murray, J. Weller, J.B. Jian, and K.B. Singh, A comprehensive draft genome sequence for lupin (Lupinus angustifolius), an emerging health food: insights into plant-microbe interactions and legume evolution. Plant Biotechnology Journal, 2017. 15(3): p. 318-330.
- Lima-Cabello, E., V. Alche, R.C. Foley, S. Andrikopoulos, G. Morahan, K.B. Singh, J.D. Alche and J.C. Jimenez-Lopez, Narrow-leafed lupin (Lupinus angustifolius L.) beta-conglutin proteins modulate the insulin signaling pathway as potential type 2 diabetes treatment and inflammatory-related disease amelioration. Molecular Nutrition & Food Research, 2017. 61(5).
- Frick, K.M., L.G. Kamphuis, K.H.M. Siddique, K.B. Singh and R.C. Foley, Quinolizidine Alkaloid Biosynthesis in Lupins and Prospects for Grain Quality Improvement. Frontiers in Plant Science, 2017. 8.
- Jimenez-Lopez, J.C., S. Melser, K. DeBoer, L.F. Thatcher, L.G. Kamphuis, R.C. Foley and K.B. Singh, Narrow-Leafed Lupin (Lupinus angustifolius) beta 1-and beta 6-Conglutin Proteins Exhibit Antifungal Activity, Protecting Plants against Necrotrophic Pathogen Induced Damage from Sclerotinia sclerotiorum and Phytophthora nicotianae. Frontiers in Plant Science, 2016. 7.
- Villarino, C.B.J., V. Jayasena, R. Coorey, S. Chakrabarti-Bell, R. Foley, K. Fanning and S.K. Johnson, The effects of lupin (Lupinus angustifolius) addition to wheat bread on its nutritional, phytochemical and bioactive composition and protein quality. Food Research International, 2015. 76(1): p. 58-65.
- Foley, R.C., J.C. Jimenez-Lopez, L.G. Kamphuis, J.K. Hane, S. Melser and K.B. Singh, Analysis of conglutin seed storage proteins across lupin species using transcriptomic, protein and comparative genomic approaches. BMC Plant Biology, 2015. 15.
- Kamphuis LG, Hane JK, Nelson MN, Gao L, Atkins CA and Singh KB, Transcriptome sequencing of different narrow-leafed lupin tissue types provides a comprehensive uni-gene assembly and extensive gene-based molecular markers. Plant Biotechnology Journal, 2014. 13:14-25.
- Berger JD, Clements JC, Nelson MN, Kamphuis LG, Singh KB and Buirchell, The essential role of genetic resources in narrow-leafed lupin improvement. Crop and Pasture Science, 2013. 64: 361-373.
- Foley, R.C., L.L. Gao, A. Spriggs, L.Y.C. Soo, D.E. Goggin, P.M.C. Smith, C.A. Atkins and K.B. Singh, Identification and characterisation of seed storage protein transcripts from Lupinus angustifolius. BMC Plant Biology, 2011. 11.
- Gao, L.L., J.K. Hane, L.G. Kamphuis, R. Foley, B.J. Shi, C.A. Atkins and K.B. Singh, Development of genomic resources for the narrow-leafed lupin (Lupinus angustifolius): construction of a bacterial artificial chromosome (BAC) library and BAC-end sequencing. BMC Genomics, 2011. 12.