Our plant pathology and crop genomics research group works on solutions to major yield-limiting problems facing the agricultural industry. Our labs are based in Perth (Western Australia) and Brisbane (Queensland) where we currently have 33 people with a range of expertise. We have strong educational values, and welcome potential Honours, Masters and PhD students to contact us regarding possible projects and availability of potential scholarships. We have close links with universities and industry including Curtin University, the University of Western Australia, the University of Queensland, and GRDC.
Click below to learn more about our focus areas.
Some of our recent publications
- Lima-Cabello, E., S. Morales-Santana, R. C. Foley, S. Melser, V. Alche, K. H. M. Siddique, K. B. Singh, J. D. Alche and J. C. Jimenez-Lopez. Ex vivo and in vitro assessment of anti-inflammatory activity of seed beta-conglutin proteins from Lupinus angustifolius. Journal of Functional Foods, 2018, 40: 510.
- Jimenez-Lopez, J. C., R. C. Foley, E. Brear, V. C. Clarke, E. Lima-Cabello, J. F. Florido, K. B. Singh, J. D. Alche and P. M. C. Smith. Characterization of narrow-leaf lupin (Lupinus angustifolius L.) recombinant major allergen IgE-binding proteins and the natural beta-conglutin counterparts in sweet lupin seed species. Food Chemistry, 2018, 244: 6.
- David Lane, Lars G. Kamphuis, Mark Derbyshire & Matthew Denton-Giles. Abiotic conditions governing the myceliogenic germination of Sclerotinia sclerotiorum allowing the basal infection of Brassica napus. Crop and Pasture Science, 2018. doi:10.1071/CP18109.
- Candy Taylor, Lars G Kamphuis, Weilu Zhang, Gagan Garg, Philipp Bayer, Jens D Berger, David Edwards, Karam B Singh, Wallace A Cowling & Matthew N Nelson. INDEL variation in the regulatory region of the major flowering time gene LanFTc1 is associated with vernalisation response and flowering time in narrow-leafed lupin (Lupinus angustifolius). Plant Cell and Environment, 2018. doi: 10.1111/pce.13320.
- Karen M Frick, Rhonda C Foley, Lars G Kamphuis, Kadambot HM Siddique, Gagan Garg & Karam B Singh. Characterisation of the genetic factors affecting quinolizidine alkaloid biosynthesis and its response to abiotic stress in narrow-leafed lupin (Lupinus angustifolius). Plant Cell and Environment, 2018. doi: 10.1111/pce.13172.
- Mahsa Mousavi-Derazmahalleh, Philipp E Bayer, Bruno Nevado, Bhavna Hurgobin, Dimitry Filatov, Andreijz Kilian, Lars G Kamphuis, Karam B Singh, Jens D Berger, James K Hane, David Edwards, William Erskine & Matthew N Nelson. Exploring the genetic and adaptive diversity of a pan-Mediterranean crop wild relative: narrow-leafed lupin. Theoretical and Applied Genetics, 2018, 131, 887-901. doi:0.1007/s00122-017-3045-7.
- Jonathan P Anderson, Brendan N Kid, Gagan Garg, Karam B Singh. Transcriptome analysis reveals class IX ethylene response factors show specific up-regulation in resistant but not susceptible Medicago truncatula lines following infection with Rhizoctonia solani, European Journal of Plant Pathology, 2018, DOI 10.1007/s10658-018-1492-x
- Thatcher LF, Myers CA, O’Sullivan CA, Roper MM Draft Genome Sequences of Streptomyces Strains MH60 and 111WW2. Genome Announcements, 2018, 6:e00356-18, doi:10.1128/genomeA.00356-18
- Jonathan P. Anderson, Jana Sperschneider, Joe Win, Brendan Kidd, Kentaro Yoshida, James Hane, Diane G. O. Saunders & Karam B. Singh, Comparative secretome analysis of Rhizoctonia solani isolates with different host ranges reveals unique secretomes and cell death inducing effectors, Scientific Reports, 2017. 7: 10410.
- Jimenez-Lopez, J. C., R. C. Foley, E. Brear, V. C. Clarke, E. Lima-Cabello, J. F. Florido, K. B. Singh, P. M. Smith and J. D. Alche, Characterization of the differential IgE-binding features of lupinus angustifolius recombinant major allergen (Lup An 1) for potential uses in “sweet lupin” allergy diagnosis and therapy. 2017. Allergy 72: 139.
- Lima-Cabello, E., V. Alche, R. C. Foley, S. Andrikopoulos, G. Morahan, K. B. Singh, J. D. Alche and J. C. Jimenez-Lopez. Narrow-leafed lupin (Lupinus angustifolius L.) beta-conglutin proteins modulate the insulin signaling pathway as potential type 2 diabetes treatment and inflammatory-related disease amelioration. 2017, Molecular Nutrition & Food Research 61(5)
- Catanzariti, Ann-Maree; Do, Huong; Bru, Pierrick; de Sain, Mara; Thatcher, Louise; Rep, Martijn; Jones, David, The tomato I gene for Fusarium wilt resistance encodes an atypical leucine-rich repeat receptor-like protein whose function is nevertheless dependent on SOBIR1 and SERK3/BAK1, Plant Journal, 2017. 89(6): p. 1195-1209.
- Liu, Y., S. Hassan, B.N. Kidd, G. Garg, U. Mathesius, K.B. Singh and J.P. Anderson, Ethylene Signaling Is Important for Isoflavonoid-Mediated Resistance to Rhizoctonia solani in Roots of Medicago truncatula. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions, 2017. 30(9): p. 691-700.
- Lima-Cabello, E., V. Alche, R.C. Foley, S. Andrikopoulos, G. Morahan, K.B. Singh, J.D. Alche and J.C. Jimenez-Lopez, Narrow-leafed lupin (Lupinus angustifolius L.) beta-conglutin proteins modulate the insulin signaling pathway as potential type 2 diabetes treatment and inflammatory-related disease amelioration. Molecular Nutrition & Food Research, 2017. 61(5).
- Hane, J.K., Y. Ming, L.G. Kamphuis, M.N. Nelson, G. Garg, C.A. Atkins, P.E. Bayer, A. Bravo, S. Bringans, S. Cannon, D. Edwards, R. Foley, L.L. Gao, M.J. Harrison, W. Huang, B. Hurgobin, S. Li, C.W. Liu, A. McGrath, G. Morahan, J. Murray, J. Weller, J.B. Jian, and K.B. Singh, A comprehensive draft genome sequence for lupin (Lupinus angustifolius), an emerging health food: insights into plant-microbe interactions and legume evolution. Plant Biotechnology Journal, 2017. 15(3): p. 318-330.
- Frick, K.M., L.G. Kamphuis, K.H.M. Siddique, K.B. Singh and R.C. Foley, Quinolizidine Alkaloid Biosynthesis in Lupins and Prospects for Grain Quality Improvement. Frontiers in Plant Science, 2017. 8.