Our plant pathology and crop genomics research group works on solutions to major yield-limiting problems facing the agricultural industry. Our labs are based in Canberra, Perth and Brisbane where we currently have 40 people with a range of expertise. We have strong educational values, and welcome potential Honours, Masters and PhD students to contact us regarding possible projects and availability of potential scholarships. We have close links with universities and industry including Curtin University, the University of Western Australia, the University of Queensland, Australian National University, the GRDC and agribusiness companies.
Click below to learn more about our focus areas.
Some of our recent publications
- Frick Karen M., Foley Rhonda C., Siddique Kadambot H. M., Singh Karam B., Kamphuis Lars G. (2019) The role of jasmonate signalling in quinolizidine alkaloid biosynthesis, wounding and aphid predation response in narrow-leafed lupin. Functional Plant Biology 46, 443-454. https://doi.org/10.1071/FP18278
- Taylor, CM, Kamphuis, LG, Zhang, W, et al. INDEL variation in the regulatory region of the major flowering time gene LanFTc1 is associated with vernalization response and flowering time in narrow‐leafed lupin (Lupinus angustifolius L.). Plant Cell Environ. 2019; 42: 174– 187. https://doi.org/10.1111/pce.13320
- DeBoer, K., Melser, S., Sperschneider, J. et al. Identification and profiling of narrow-leafed lupin (Lupinus angustifolius) microRNAs during seed development. BMC Genomics 20, 135 (2019). https://doi.org/10.1186/s12864-019-5521-8
- Thatcher, L.F.; Singh, K.B. The Arabidopsis altered in stress response2 is Impaired in Resistance to Root and Leaf Necrotrophic Fungal Pathogens. Plants 2019, 8, 60.
- Shu, C., Zhao, M., Anderson, J.P. et al. Transcriptome analysis reveals molecular mechanisms of sclerotial development in the rice sheath blight pathogen Rhizoctonia solani AG1-IA. Funct Integr Genomics 19, 743–758 (2019). https://doi.org/10.1007/s10142-019-00677-0
- Alex Van Moerkercke, Owen Duncan, Mark Zander, Jan Šimura, Martyna Broda, Robin Vanden Bossche, Mathew G. Lewsey, Sbatie Lama, Karam B. Singh, Karin Ljung, Joseph R. Ecker, Alain Goossens, A. Harvey Millar, Olivier Van Aken, A MYC2/MYC3/MYC4-dependent transcription factor network regulates water spray-responsive gene expression and jasmonate levels. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences Nov 2019, 116 (46) 23345-23356; DOI: 10.1073/pnas.1911758116
- Jones, D.A.B., John, E., Rybak, K. et al. A specific fungal transcription factor controls effector gene expression and orchestrates the establishment of the necrotrophic pathogen lifestyle on wheat. Sci Rep 9, 15884 (2019). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-019-52444-7
- Lars G Kamphuis, John P Klingler, Silke Jacques, Ling-Ling Gao, Owain R Edwards, Karam B Singh, Additive and epistatic interactions between AKR and AIN loci conferring bluegreen aphid resistance and hypersensitivity in Medicago truncatula, Journal of Experimental Botany, Volume 70, Issue 18, 15 September 2019, Pages 4887–4902, https://doi.org/10.1093/jxb/erz222
- Frick, KM, Foley, RC, Kamphuis, LG, Siddique, KHM, Garg, G, Singh, KB. Characterization of the genetic factors affecting quinolizidine alkaloid biosynthesis and its response to abiotic stress in narrow‐leafed lupin (Lupinus angustifolius L.). Plant Cell Environ. 2018; 41: 2155– 2168. https://doi.org/10.1111/pce.13172
- Sperschneider, J., Dodds, P.N., Gardiner, D.M., Singh, K.B. and Taylor, J.M. (2018), Improved prediction of fungal effector proteins from secretomes with EffectorP 2.0. Molecular Plant Pathology, 19: 2094-2110. doi:10.1111/mpp.12682
- Sperschneider, J., Dodds, P.N., Singh, K.B. and Taylor, J.M. (2018), APOPLASTP: prediction of effectors and plant proteins in the apoplast using machine learning. New Phytol, 217: 1764-1778. doi:10.1111/nph.14946
- Mousavi-Derazmahalleh, M., Bayer, P.E., Nevado, B. et al. Exploring the genetic and adaptive diversity of a pan-Mediterranean crop wild relative: narrow-leafed lupin. Theor Appl Genet 131, 887–901 (2018). https://doi.org/10.1007/s00122-017-3045-7
- Lima-Cabello, E., S. Morales-Santana, R. C. Foley, S. Melser, V. Alche, K. H. M. Siddique, K. B. Singh, J. D. Alche and J. C. Jimenez-Lopez. Ex vivo and in vitro assessment of anti-inflammatory activity of seed beta-conglutin proteins from Lupinus angustifolius. Journal of Functional Foods, 2018, 40: 510.
- Jimenez-Lopez, J. C., R. C. Foley, E. Brear, V. C. Clarke, E. Lima-Cabello, J. F. Florido, K. B. Singh, J. D. Alche and P. M. C. Smith. Characterization of narrow-leaf lupin (Lupinus angustifolius L.) recombinant major allergen IgE-binding proteins and the natural beta-conglutin counterparts in sweet lupin seed species. Food Chemistry, 2018, 244: 6.
- David Lane, Lars G. Kamphuis, Mark Derbyshire & Matthew Denton-Giles. Abiotic conditions governing the myceliogenic germination of Sclerotinia sclerotiorum allowing the basal infection of Brassica napus. Crop and Pasture Science, 2018. doi:10.1071/CP18109.
- Candy Taylor, Lars G Kamphuis, Weilu Zhang, Gagan Garg, Philipp Bayer, Jens D Berger, David Edwards, Karam B Singh, Wallace A Cowling & Matthew N Nelson. INDEL variation in the regulatory region of the major flowering time gene LanFTc1 is associated with vernalisation response and flowering time in narrow-leafed lupin (Lupinus angustifolius). Plant Cell and Environment, 2018. doi: 10.1111/pce.13320.
- Karen M Frick, Rhonda C Foley, Lars G Kamphuis, Kadambot HM Siddique, Gagan Garg & Karam B Singh. Characterisation of the genetic factors affecting quinolizidine alkaloid biosynthesis and its response to abiotic stress in narrow-leafed lupin (Lupinus angustifolius). Plant Cell and Environment, 2018. doi: 10.1111/pce.13172.
- Mahsa Mousavi-Derazmahalleh, Philipp E Bayer, Bruno Nevado, Bhavna Hurgobin, Dimitry Filatov, Andreijz Kilian, Lars G Kamphuis, Karam B Singh, Jens D Berger, James K Hane, David Edwards, William Erskine & Matthew N Nelson. Exploring the genetic and adaptive diversity of a pan-Mediterranean crop wild relative: narrow-leafed lupin. Theoretical and Applied Genetics, 2018, 131, 887-901. doi:0.1007/s00122-017-3045-7.
- Jonathan P Anderson, Brendan N Kid, Gagan Garg, Karam B Singh. Transcriptome analysis reveals class IX ethylene response factors show specific up-regulation in resistant but not susceptible Medicago truncatula lines following infection with Rhizoctonia solani, European Journal of Plant Pathology, 2018, DOI 10.1007/s10658-018-1492-x
- Thatcher LF, Myers CA, O’Sullivan CA, Roper MM Draft Genome Sequences of Streptomyces Strains MH60 and 111WW2. Genome Announcements, 2018, 6:e00356-18, doi:10.1128/genomeA.00356-18