Our plant pathology and crop genomics research group works on solutions to major yield-limiting problems facing the agricultural industry. Our labs are based in Perth (Western Australia) and Brisbane (Queensland) where we currently have 33 people with a range of expertise. We have strong educational values, and welcome potential Honours, Masters and PhD students to contact us regarding possible projects and availability of potential scholarships. We have close links with universities and industry including Curtin University, the University of Western Australia, the University of Queensland, and GRDC.
Click below to learn more about our focus areas.
Some of our recent publications
- Jonathan P. Anderson, Jana Sperschneider, Joe Win, Brendan Kidd, Kentaro Yoshida, James Hane, Diane G. O. Saunders & Karam B. Singh, Comparative secretome analysis of Rhizoctonia solani isolates with different host ranges reveals unique secretomes and cell death inducing effectors, Scientific Reports, 2017. 7: 10410.
- Catanzariti, Ann-Maree; Do, Huong; Bru, Pierrick; de Sain, Mara; Thatcher, Louise; Rep, Martijn; Jones, David, The tomato I gene for Fusarium wilt resistance encodes an atypical leucine-rich repeat receptor-like protein whose function is nevertheless dependent on SOBIR1 and SERK3/BAK1, Plant Journal, 2017. 89(6): p. 1195-1209.
- Liu, Y., S. Hassan, B.N. Kidd, G. Garg, U. Mathesius, K.B. Singh and J.P. Anderson, Ethylene Signaling Is Important for Isoflavonoid-Mediated Resistance to Rhizoctonia solani in Roots of Medicago truncatula. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions, 2017. 30(9): p. 691-700.
- Lima-Cabello, E., V. Alche, R.C. Foley, S. Andrikopoulos, G. Morahan, K.B. Singh, J.D. Alche and J.C. Jimenez-Lopez, Narrow-leafed lupin (Lupinus angustifolius L.) beta-conglutin proteins modulate the insulin signaling pathway as potential type 2 diabetes treatment and inflammatory-related disease amelioration. Molecular Nutrition & Food Research, 2017. 61(5).
- Hane, J.K., Y. Ming, L.G. Kamphuis, M.N. Nelson, G. Garg, C.A. Atkins, P.E. Bayer, A. Bravo, S. Bringans, S. Cannon, D. Edwards, R. Foley, L.L. Gao, M.J. Harrison, W. Huang, B. Hurgobin, S. Li, C.W. Liu, A. McGrath, G. Morahan, J. Murray, J. Weller, J.B. Jian, and K.B. Singh, A comprehensive draft genome sequence for lupin (Lupinus angustifolius), an emerging health food: insights into plant-microbe interactions and legume evolution. Plant Biotechnology Journal, 2017. 15(3): p. 318-330.
- Frick, K.M., L.G. Kamphuis, K.H.M. Siddique, K.B. Singh and R.C. Foley, Quinolizidine Alkaloid Biosynthesis in Lupins and Prospects for Grain Quality Improvement. Frontiers in Plant Science, 2017. 8.
- Jimenez-Lopez, J.C., S. Melser, K. DeBoer, L.F. Thatcher, L.G. Kamphuis, R.C. Foley and K.B. Singh, Narrow-Leafed Lupin (Lupinus angustifolius) beta 1-and beta 6-Conglutin Proteins Exhibit Antifungal Activity, Protecting Plants against Necrotrophic Pathogen Induced Damage from Sclerotinia sclerotiorum and Phytophthora nicotianae. Frontiers in Plant Science, 2016. 7.
- Kidd, B.N., K.D. DeBoer, K.B. Singh and J.P. Anderson, Belowground Defence Strategies Against Rhizoctonia, in Belowground Defence Strategies in Plants, C.M.F. Vos and K. Kazan, Editors. 2016. p. 99-117.
- Foley, R.C., B.N. Kidd, J.K. Hane, J.P. Anderson and K.B. Singh, Reactive Oxygen Species Play a Role in the Infection of the Necrotrophic Fungi, Rhizoctonia solani in Wheat. Plos One, 2016. 11(3).
- Anderson, J.P., J.K. Hane, T. Stoll, N. Pain, M.L. Hastie, P. Kaur, C. Hoogland, J.J. Gorman and K.B. Singh, Proteomic Analysis of Rhizoctonia solani Identifies Infection-specific, Redox Associated Proteins and Insight into Adaptation to Different Plant Hosts. Molecular & Cellular Proteomics, 2016. 15(4): p. 1188-1203.
- Thatcher, Louise; Kidd, Brendan; Kazan, Kemal, Belowground Defence Strategies Against Fusarium oxysporum, in Belowground Defence Strategies in Plants, C.M.F. Vos and K. Kazan, Editors. 2016. pp. 71-98.
- Kamphuis, Lars; Guo, Su-Min; Gao, Lingling; Singh, Karam, Genetic mapping of a major resistance gene to pea aphid (Acyrthosipon pisum) in the model legume Medicago truncatula, International Journal of Molecular Sciences, 2016. 17(8):1224.
- Thatcher, Louise; Williams, Angela; Garg, Gagan; Buck, Sally-Anne; Singh, Karam, Transcriptome analysis of the fungal pathogen Fusarium oxysporum f. sp. medicaginis during colonisation of resistant and susceptible Medicago truncatula hosts identifies differential pathogenicity profiles and novel candidate effectors, BMC Genomics, 2016. 17:860.
- Thatcher, Louise; Volkan, Cevik; Grant, Murray; Zhai, Bing; Jones, Jonathan; Manners, John; Kazan, Kemal, Characterization of a JAZ7 activation-tagged Arabidopsis mutant with increased susceptibility to the fungal pathogen Fusarium oxysporum, Journal of Experimental Botany, 2016. 67(8).
- Williams, Angela; Sharma, Mamta; Thatcher, Louise; Azam, Sarwar; Hane, James; Sperschneider, Jana; Kidd, Brendan; Anderson, Jonathan; Ghosh, Raju; Garg, Gagan; Lichtenzveig, Judith; Kistler, H. Corby; Shea, Terrance; Young, Sarah; Kamphuis, Lars; Buck, Sally-Anne; Saxena, Rachit K; Pande, Suresh; Ma, Li-Jun; Varshney, Rajeev; Singh, Karam, Comparative genomics and prediction of conditionally dispensable sequences in legume–infecting Fusarium oxysporum formae speciales facilitates identification of candidate effectors, BMC Genomics, 2016. 17(191):24.